Doctor Who (Series Finale May 2013)

What did everybody think of the finale? Is John Hurt Doctor #12 after Matt Smith...

..or is he Doctor number 9, the 'forgotten/secret' incarnation before Christopher Ecclestone? This theory seems likely when thinking that perhaps this is the incarnation of the Doctor that made the decision to destroy Gallifrey and Timelords/Daleks alike. That makes sense when considering the actual dialogue of the ending... Reminder for you:

Doctor: 'I said he was me. I never said he was the Doctor.'

Clara: 'I don't understand.'

Doctor: 'My name, my real name.. That is not the point. The name I chose was the Doctor. The name you choose, it's like a promise you make to yourself.... he's the one who broke the promise.' (Clara faints) 'He is my secret.'

John Hurt: 'What I did... I did without choice. In the name of peace, and sanity.'

Doctor: 'But not in the name of the Doctor.'

All this talk about choice, doing it for peace, breaking the promise of 'the Doctor' (which is probably onomastic symbolism showing himself as being helpful and peaceful) seems reminiscent of the 'Doctor' who would destroy his home planet and people to kill the Daleks.

A good teaser, shame we have to wait till November 23rd, any other Whovians there to discuss this theory in light of tonight's finale? :D I'm glad Matt Smith is staying on another season, too!

• Like 1

OMG i can't beleive i just found a whovian on this site!!

I personally think, from that re-cap that somewhere, sometime 'The Doctor' revealed his name or some other secret like that, which then lead to all sorts of problem or something... i havent seen the whole of DW so im probably entirely wrong but somehow i doubt that he is the 12thor the 9th doctor.

There is possiblity of him being the 9th but i just really hope he isnt because i liked the tennant and 10 puns :P (im so sad....)

But I agree with you about him possibly being the one to make the decision about destroying Gallifrey, although i havent seen those episodes so I wouldn't know... if i weren't in the IB... I would have watched all the eps starting from the Classics! Its so sad that i cant :(

I can't wait till the 23rd!! its horrible! I really want to know if they get out of the tear safely, or what and what happens to the G.I

Edited by IBfreakingout!