I´ve been researching about the Treaty of Versailles for a while; however i still can´t formulate a question. My topic is about the consequences of this treaty on Germany and in Europe.

To what extent was the TofV. the main reason why Europe was in crisis during the 20´s?

Is it ok? good topic, too narrow or broad?

Help please I need to start at once :(

Don´t leave this post without commenting I really need your help

Appreciation 100%

Thank you

Hey there!

The topic doesn't sound as a very good internal assessment (IA) topic to me. It's a very standard topic, and is a part of most schools' syllabus. I've even seen a variation of it as a question on past papers. In order to do well, you will need an original research question (RQ) that explores a less known aspect of a historical event. Therefore, your topic should be changed if you want to do well. This does not imply you cannot do an IA on the Treaty of Versailles, but you need to explore a less known aspect.

A comment specific to your current RQ: If 'Europe in crisis' is referring to the hyperinflation or the invasion of Ruhr Valley, it is a quite obvious answer to that question. Without the treaty (in particular the war guilt clause and the war reparation clause), France would have no legitimacy in invading the Ruhr Valley, causing the hyperinflation in Germany the same year. This is something you most likely will figure out after some minutes of researching, and does therefore not lend to thorough research. You should therefore try to find another topic which is less obvious, and is perhaps a bit more disputed (topics where historians disagree are perfect for the IA and other history-based coursework).

If you still consider to stay with this RQ, I recommend you narrow it down. Europe is a big continent, and it would be impossible to cover the impact on all nations in a detailed and thorough way. You should specify what kind of crisis you are going to discuss - the Ruhr Valley invasion, the German hyperinflation, the incident of Corfu, etc. Also, there were a lot of events in the 20s, so you should be even more strict with the time frame as well. I suggest you focus on one nation (or even one region of a nation, if you find enough to write about) in a defined time frame, for instance 'to what extent did the Treaty of Versailles affect France economically in the years 1919-1923?,' or to be more consistent with your own RQ: 'To what extent was Treaty of Versailles causing the incident of Corfu (1923)?'

Good luck!

• Like 4

Following on from what Alefal was saying, one of the best things you could like do for an History IA is to go inwards and write about something from your own national history that fascinates you.

Like you're from Peru, right? Maybe write a paper on the Inca and how they were like overthrown by the Spanish colonisers (I might be wrong here, my Latin American history is dodgy)? Just a suggestion in any case. But that would be a 10x more interesting topic than another essay on the ToV.