Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cameron Alwes

Choosing a sixth subject! Help!

I have already selected five of my six classes, but I need to take a sixth subject at the SL.

Right now, I have chosen:

IB Maths HL Y1

IB English HL Y1

IB Biology HL Y1

IB Spanish SL Y1

IB World Religions SL

The four classes I am trying to decide between and the reasons why are:

IB Chemistry SL

• I am currently in a standard chemistry class and I really enjoy it. I also am doing really well with a 99.7% in the class.

IB Physics SL

• I know colleges like to see that a student has taken Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. I have already taken Biology and am currently taking Chemistry.

IB Environmental Systems and Societies SL

• I have heard that this class is one of the easier choices (not sure about the validity in this statement) and it could be a good option to free up some time for the HL classes and my extra curriculars.

IB Psychology SL

• I am interested in this class, but I have heard that it is pretty difficult, even at the SL.

Any suggestions that you have based on my current selected classes, reasons why I am trying to decide between these four SL classes, and your personal experiences or what you've heard is gladly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Many students make mistakes by choosing the easiest subject. I recommend you to chose what you like (what you won't have troubles studying) or something that is needed for your further education (example, if you want to study medicine, than take chemistry).

From the reasons you gave, I would say that chemistry is the best option.

Hope I helped. :)

I agree with the person above. I also think that you should look at it teacher wise as well. Our teacher here for Environmental Studies is not exactly 'good' and I know I would rather be actually learning something, plus you have a better chance of doing well and constantly improving if you have a great teacher.

Ask yourself what you thinking of doing? You have Biology, but which one of Chem or Physics suits better to you career ideas. From What you have said, it sounds liek Chem is definitely the best option and you have done exceptionally well as well!

If you're one of those rare people who actually likes Chemistry, I say go for it. It's best to do the subject you enjoy and find interesting because at the end of the day that will equip you very well to excel in it and also it's the thing you're likely to want to take further.

If you're one of those rare people who actually likes Chemistry, I say go for it. It's best to do the subject you enjoy and find interesting because at the end of the day that will equip you very well to excel in it and also it's the thing you're likely to want to take further.

Completely agree, I'd say you go with chemistry because if you like it and you're doing well so far, it is more likely you'll get a good score. And like you said, colleges like it.

Go with chemistry :) It's my favourite subject and IB makes you love chemistry (esp. at HL) even more!

1 person likes this

If your aim is to pick a subject that gets you good grades, i'd recommend SL Chemistry. It's extremely easy. You also enjoy it, which is a huge plus!

Chemistry! As the above comments say, find out who the IB Chem teacher is since it can really change how you do in the class.

I signed up for Chemistry SL! It should be a fun class! Plus I found out that my current chemistry teacher is the IB teacher! Thanks for the advice everyone!

Choose what you like, not what would be easy!

Nevertheless, if you are not sure which one is your favorite, I'd say Chemistry. Chemistry together with Biology really broadens your choice for jobs in the future, even if you take Chemistry SL.