Could I begin CAS before starting the IB?

You must ask CAS coordinator for that. Even I started work for CAS after 2 months of entering grade 11 but it was not counted because it only began after the 4 th month of the grade 11. But you can take down the contacts of NGO's and you can think what creativity you can do, you can make a schedule for future. Saves a lot of time because once IB begans there is no time to take a break.

You really should ask your co-ordinator because unlike the other 2 people who have replied here, I was allowed to start CAS in the summer break from year 10 to stage 1 IB!

We had an IB workshop on the last day of school and since that day onwards we were allowed to collect CAS hours! In fact it was highly encouraged to do as much as you can in that time... i did a measly 3.5 hours but I know friends who did up to 64 hours! Of course you cannot just do your 150 hours and never do CAS again, because we have been told that even in the second year we have to do at least 20 hours to have that balance but you can get the stress or whatever off your back but doing a lot early on.

To be fair, we don't exactly get the whole 2 years to finish CAS since the last 3 months are exams and I am not sure when our school has it's due dates etc but that might be why they let us... I am not sure exactly.

I have completed 84 hours of CAS doing robotics ( but only max 30 is counted) :D.

There are only counted for 30 hours, until you have reached the 150 hours in total.

I have 343 hours of CAS in total after the first year of IB. And if only counting for max of 30 hours, then I have 285.5 hours of CAS.

I did some before we started CAS at our school, and I was allowed to count them into my CAS - hours.

• 2 weeks later...

At my school, they allow you to begin in the summer of grade 10. However, at my family friend's school, they have to wait until October of grade 11. You should ask your CAS Supervisor (usually the IB Coordinator) what the rules regarding your school are.

• 1 month later...