IB subject choice! Help!

mdabella

I'm starting my 1st year of IB this August and I just wanted to know if these subjects seem acceptable. I'm thinking of doing Architecture/Interior Design or International Studies in university. Please let me know what you think, or if you have similar subjects as I do!

English Literature/A1 HL

Spanish B HL

Visual Arts HL

History HL

Math Methods SL

Physics SL

Hey there!

I think that your subject choices could do a little rearranging. In my opinion, math should be at least at the SL for architecture, but I could be wrong. Also, four classes at the HL will be very difficult and time consuming so make sure that if one is too difficult for you, drop it down to the SL. It isn't necessary for you to take four. Good luck to you!

Hey guys!

I am also about to begin the IB Program this September & i am somewhat having dilemma. These are the classes i have signed up for, can you guys please give me some feedback on them.

IB English HL

IB US History HL

IB Spanish SL

IB Biology HL

AP Statistics

IB Social Anthropology HL

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys!

I am also about to begin the IB Program this September & i am somewhat having dilemma. These are the classes i have signed up for, can you guys please give me some feedback on them.

IB English HL

IB US History HL

IB Spanish SL

IB Biology HL

AP Statistics

Hey there!

First off, I am confused about your math class. You should be taking IB math as part of the IB Diploma Programme. For you I would suggest SL or HL Mathematics (it's possible there is a reason uoure taking that and I'm just unaware). As for your other classes, four classes at the HL can be very difficult. I know that History and Biology at the HL are very difficult and will consume a lot of your time. I don't know anything about Social Anthropology HL, though. My suggestion would be that since 4 classes at the HL is unnecessary, that you should see which one you struggle with the most and drop it down to the SL. Other than that, your schedule seems rigorous and will definitely take a lot of effort to be successful with, but I'm sure you can do it! Good luck! :)

Hey guys!

IB English HL

IB US History HL

IB Spanish SL

IB Biology HL

AP Statistics

Hey there!

First off, I am confused about your math class. You should be taking IB math as part of the IB Diploma Programme. For you I would suggest SL or HL Mathematics (it's possible there is a reason uoure taking that and I'm just unaware). As for your other classes, four classes at the HL can be very difficult. I know that History and Biology at the HL are very difficult and will consume a lot of your time. I don't know anything about Social Anthropology HL, though. My suggestion would be that since 4 classes at the HL is unnecessary, that you should see which one you struggle with the most and drop it down to the SL. Other than that, your schedule seems rigorous and will definitely take a lot of effort to be successful with, but I'm sure you can do it! Good luck! :)

Thanks! And at my School, we do go into Math Studies until Senior Year. I was initially supposed to take IB Calculus, but i opt'd out of it & took AP Statistics. Simply because i don't want to over stress myself with Calculus. And plus that is also an HL course, so it just wouldn't work well with my schedule. I also plan on becoming a Business Major, so i feel as though the Stats with be very beneficial for me. Thanks tho!

I'm starting my 1st year of IB this August and I just wanted to know if these subjects seem acceptable. I'm thinking of doing Architecture/Interior Design or International Studies in university. Please let me know what you think, or if you have similar subjects as I do!

English Literature/A1 HL

Spanish B HL

Visual Arts HL

History HL

Math Methods SL

Physics SL

I also just wanted to add to what the others have already said about 4 HLs being quite a challenge, especially since you have quite a few of those which are considered rather difficult/time consuming. The art teachers at my friend's school don't recommend that you take Visual Art as a 4th HL because it takes up a lot of time. I would probably recommend that you begin with 4 and drop one if you can't manage everything on your plate – best of luck though!

Hi!

Just wondering, wouldn't you need a strong math background for architecture?

I guess it depends on where you want to apply – different universities have different course requirements. But yes, I think you would need at least math SL as opposed to studies. I've also heard that some universities want physics (not sure about this though?!)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm starting the IBDP and i want to do architecture too, but i have no visual arts or history in my school. Would not having Visual Arts affect my chances of getting accepted to unis?

here are my sub choices:

Eng B HL

Math HL

Physics HL

Business and Management SL

Environmental Systems and Societies SL

Nepali A SL

I'm starting the IBDP and i want to do architecture too, but i have no visual arts or history in my school. Would not having Visual Arts affect my chances of getting accepted to unis?

here are my sub choices:

Eng B HL

Math HL

Physics HL

Business and Management SL

Environmental Systems and Societies SL

Nepali A SL

Art is the only required or highly preferred subject in a lot of places, so it might be a bit of a problem for you, unfortunately- although you may be able to get around it. That's for the UK though, if you apply to other countries they might not have so many requirements. The alternative is that you could create a portfolio in your own time and maybe try ringing some universities you're interested in to explain your dilemma but that you've made a portfolio nonetheless and could they possibly judge you just on that. I'd definitely consider doing that if you really wanted to apply to somewhere but they required you take Art. I would research where you might want to go, find their websites and look at their requirements first, because possibly there are some places where you don't need it. I only looked up a few.

Other alternatives include trying to take Art at another local school or in a non-IB programme or also you can do a foundation year in art somewhere and then apply. However I'd definitely do the portfolio-in-my-own-time or a non-IB art course bit first before sacrificing a year just to fulfil a requirement like that!

• Like 1

English Literature/A1 HL

Spanish B HL

Visual Arts HL

History HL

Math Methods SL

Physics SL

Hey most people here have been telling u to drop 1 HL now, but I think that if your school allows you, you should do 4 to begin with then drop out of one when u realise doing it at HL will be lowering ur chances of getting higher grades or you simply don't like it enough to do it in HL.

And I know a friend who wants to be an architect and is doing Math Studies so your not the only one though doing SL has no harm as its good to be on the safe side and i am sure it will help further in uni etc anyway!

English Literature/A1 HL

Spanish B HL

Visual Arts HL

History HL

Math Methods SL

Physics SL

I'm sure you're tired of hearing this, but a big no-no on four HLs. Just no. I think you might have to take a higher level of math, but do so cautiously. One of my friends was also interested in Architecture, and she went with Math HL, but ended up getting a 4. So you should have a good math foundation ( SL or HL if you're good enough) but make your choice wisely. The best thing would be to check out university requirements for your course, so you'll know exactly which uni needs what.

English Literature/A1 HL

Spanish B HL

Visual Arts HL

History HL

Math Methods SL

Physics SL

i think you should take HL math and physics.. along with art i guess..

Higher level art is awesome, but you do NOT want four higher levels, especially when they are as time consuming as the one's you've picked. For architecture, you're going to need a much better maths background to make yourself desirable to unis, so consider at least standard level maths. Obviously switching from studies to higher would be too challenging, but standard level is a minimum. Higher level art is great of course, and if you can, physics higher level. Not a requirement, but it could be helpful!