saxonogy

Hello! My school is only in it's second year of IB and I'm supposed to write a Maths SL IA over the summer, but my teacher didn't relly explain the process very well. I know that the paper is supposed to show my mastery of a level of math that is appropriate to Maths SL, but I'm not sure what the premise of the paper is? Am I supposed to form an argument? Can I use outside research? Am I supposed to form a hypothesis and test it using maths? Can someone give me a breakdown of the expectations of a Maths SL IA from the ground up? I'm really confused. Thank you in advance!

The Math IA for 2014 (and later) students is an exploration. So basically you choose a research question and write 6-12 pages trying to solve it (and hopefully succeeding).

Now, you can write on basically anything you want, but make sure that the topic you choose interests you. Some teachers give stimuli to get you started and narrow down your possible choices, but if you weren't given a stimulus (a broad subject like "water" for example) it's fine.

Here's the teacher support material that might be helpful (considering I didn't explain it very well). You should look at the examples and see the grades they got so that you have an idea of what they're expecting from you. (The criteria is also on the same website)

(edit: broken link)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Math IA for 2014 (and later) students is an exploration. So basically you choose a research question and write 6-12 pages trying to solve it (and hopefully succeeding).

Now, you can write on basically anything you want, but make sure that the topic you choose interests you. Some teachers give stimuli to get you started and narrow down your possible choices, but if you weren't given a stimulus (a broad subject like "water" for example) it's fine.

Here's the teacher support material that might be helpful (considering I didn't explain it very well). You should look at the examples and see the grades they got so that you have an idea of what they're expecting from you.

(edit: broken link)

Treat it like a mini maths extended essay so you have to have a topic and explore it using maths. But not as broad as an actual maths extended essay. Sort of like how the science IA's are.

Examples.

but guys, is there any structure to the whole thing.. i mean for economics commentaries or stuff like that we have suggested structures.. so i was wondering if there's any for the exploration that would give me more confidence to work on it..

• 3 weeks later...

but guys, is there any structure to the whole thing.. i mean for economics commentaries or stuff like that we have suggested structures.. so i was wondering if there's any for the exploration that would give me more confidence to work on it..

I'm afraid not. Have a look at the examples (good and bad) to see what organisations could be used and see what you like and don't like about each. That could help.

• Like 1

I'm afraid not. Have a look at the examples (good and bad) to see what organisations could be used and see what you like and don't like about each. That could help.

yeahh i'm done with my outline.. i just planned the whole thing and i figured that there isn't any standard structure.. yeah, i will go through the examples for sure.. anyway, thanks :D