A website for Math

maroctam

It's summer / winter holiday for most of us and I thought I'd share a website on which you can practice your math.

The website is brilliant.org and it doesn't really have IB style questions, but it's good practice anyway (and can be fun).

After solving a question you recieve a certain number of points depending on the difficulty of the question. Using the points you collect you can 'buy' stuff with them (books for example, like flatland or Einstein's book about special relativity).

Enjoy! (And if you already have an account, what levels are you in? I'm at level 3 for both.)

Edited by naweln
  • Like 6

Thank you for sharing this :) Although personally I think I'll be sticking to textbook questions so that I follow the syllabus.

I'm not saying that this should be a replacement for textbook practice, it shouldn't be. I recommend this website because it's an enjoyable way to practice your math over the holidays (as I doubt any of us will do textbook questions). Personally, what I like about the website is the fact that you're rewarded for solving problems, as it's encouraging and gives an attainable goal.

Nice website indeed!

Although I have no clue with the data structures part (did not learn much programming, trying to use excel to work the questions out) and am struggling with the mechanics part (taking grade 11 physics and... never learned the materials that appeared in lv 3+)...

• Like 1

Nice website indeed!

Although I have no clue with the data structures part (did not learn much programming, trying to use excel to work the questions out) and am struggling with the mechanics part (taking grade 11 physics and... never learned the materials that appeared in lv 3+)...

I always forget there's a mechanics part, I should give that a try! And yeah, not all the questions are feasible, which can get frustrating...

According to the FAQs, questions shouldn't require programming, but honestly I don't know how to answer questions like these without it. (I've been trying to find a pattern, but so far I'm not very successful...)

Nice website indeed!

I always forget there's a mechanics part, I should give that a try! And yeah, not all the questions are feasible, which can get frustrating...

According to the FAQs, questions shouldn't require programming, but honestly I don't know how to answer questions like these without it. (I've been trying to find a pattern, but so far I'm not very successful...)

It's only the data structure part that requires programming knowledge, although some of them can be solved using excel :P

I solved this one, the answer is

Solution:

Let x represent N crossed out first digit

Let a represent the crossed out digit

N crossed out first digit =N/25=x

∴ a*10...(number of 0s) =24N/25=24x

∴a*10...(number of 0s)/24=x

∵x is an integer

∴a*10...(number of 0s)/24 is an integer

When a=3 or a=9

a*1000/24 is an integer

∴N can be *10^3~*10^8

∴There are 6 possibilities for N value when a=3 or a=9

(12 possibilities in total)

When a=6

a*100/24 is an integer

∴N can be *10^2~*10^8

∴There are 7 possibilities for N value when a=6

∴There are 12+7=19 possibilities for the N value in total.

Done. :)

EDIT: Put solution part in spoiler.

Edited by iamsherlockedssy
  • Like 1

Nice website indeed!

It's only the data structure part that requires programming knowledge, although some of them can be solved using excel :P

Solution:

∵x is an integer

When a=3 or a=9

a*1000/24 is an integer

∴N can be *10^3~*10^8

When a=6

a*100/24 is an integer

∴N can be *10^2~*10^8

Yeah I just realised there's a computer science section - it's new, I didn't know about it, thank you :)

And wow, thanks! I would have never thought to solve it in that manner. As I said I was trying to find a pattern which was proving to be very difficult, this makes so much more sense (and is (seemingly) much quicker!!). Thanks again.

Quick questions - what levels are you in for each section? also, why is it that N cannot be > 10^8 (the question says 10^9)?

Nice website indeed!

Solution:

∵x is an integer

When a=3 or a=9

a*1000/24 is an integer

∴N can be *10^3~*10^8

When a=6

a*100/24 is an integer

∴N can be *10^2~*10^8

Yeah I just realised there's a computer science section - it's new, I didn't know about it, thank you :)

And wow, thanks! I would have never thought to solve it in that manner. As I said I was trying to find a pattern which was proving to be very difficult, this makes so much more sense (and is (seemingly) much quicker!!). Thanks again.

Quick questions - what levels are you in for each section? also, why is it that N cannot be > 10^8 (the question says 10^9)?

Level 3s in number theory and geometry section. (Accidentally got one wrong in number theory section when I took the "test" and could not fix the error, :()

Level 2s in mechanics and data structure section :dontgetit:

For the question:

N can be between 1 and 9.99999999*10^8 (in fact N can also be )

So in the solution in my last post, what I meant was that

N can be a.x*10^2(*10^3 for a=3 or 9) to a.x*10^8

a.x = N/(10^2~10^8)

N can be larger than 10^8.

• Like 1

Nice website indeed!

Solution:

∵x is an integer

When a=3 or a=9

a*1000/24 is an integer

∴N can be *10^3~*10^8

When a=6

a*100/24 is an integer

∴N can be *10^2~*10^8

Level 3s in number theory and geometry section. (Accidentally got one wrong in number theory section when I took the "test" and could not fix the error, :()

Level 2s in mechanics and data structure section :dontgetit:

For the question:

N can be between 1 and 9.99999999*10^8 (in fact N can also be )

So in the solution in my last post, what I meant was that

N can be a.x*10^2(*10^3 for a=3 or 9) to a.x*10^8

a.x = N/(10^2~10^8)

N can be larger than 10^8.

That makes a lot of sense :) Thank you very much!! And yeah, I'm in the same level in all 4, though i didn't make a mistake when taking the test...

That makes a lot of sense :) Thank you very much!! And yeah, I'm in the same level in all 4, though i didn't make a mistake when taking the test...

By the way, is there a way to retake the test and change the level I am on?

Can't find it anywhere on the website...

EDIT: Found the level up requirement in the faq section :)

Edited by iamsherlockedssy