Do you listen to music as you study?

the blonde one

Music while studying  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you listen to music as you study?

• Yes, it keeps me focused.
    • No, it distracts me.
    • Sometimes, it depends on the subject.
  2. 2. What music do you listen to, if you do?

I'm curious whether you like to listen to music while studying, after finding this awesome website.

Personally, I love to listen to music as I study - however my music preferences differ from subject to subject.

While I study math, I am listen to low ambient sounds, usually by Boards of Canada. If anyone has heard of this band, I salute you (Y). I need it to be quiet because usually when I'm doing math homework I have to say what I'm thinking out loud, and my music can't get in the way of that...

For other subjects, especially Art, I listen to Icelandic music - Sigur Ros. It helps me stay focused because I can't concentrate on the lyrics if I can't understand them! But aside, Icelandic is a really cool sounding language and I love Sigur Ros' music.

For English I usually have no music on though, because it distracts me from my reading, even BoC.

For essay writing and other written assignments I listen to indie rock - it gets the blood pumpin' and the fingers a-typin'.

Now that I've actually written it out, I realize I'm pretty dang particular about my music as a study.

As for the website I found (Through Eric Whitacre's Facebook page) I think I'll use that when I'm sketching alone or writing poetry all for my own benefit. It's neat though, check it out.

• Like 1

Sigur Ros is pretty good background music, I have to say :)

When I study I usually use the music to block off other noises and treat it like background which for some reason helps me focus. Occasionally it doesn't work and I find it distracting, but generally I'd say it helps me focus in. Especially if I listen to something through my headphones, it eliminates everything else and I find I can be much more single-minded than usual. Doesn't really matter what it is, but I find rap can be a bit more distracting than the others because I listen to the words a bit too much.

That ambient noises thing is strangely effective. Although it's just adding to the shouting people, seagulls, planes, cars and barking dogs outside :P

hearing I'M SORRY MS JACKSON while writing an English essay is flawless. There is no way I'll write the essay which is what all procrastination attempts are in the end. I might sprinkle some waka flocka in there so I hear BRICKSQUAAAAD to get me pumped.

I'm kidding. I either listen to jazz or nothing at all. I'd rather not because while it might give the impression of being more focused I find that the main reason why that is, is because it blocks out distracting noises. So sometimes I might have my headphones in with nothing playing.

I'd rather wake up in a new Bugatti than revise though.

I personally like listening to music while learning and I also find headphones very useful - as it was said before it drowns other noises. Laud music also prevent me from falling asleep :) I find music especially helpful when learning foreign languages. When I learn something for German I listen to songs with lyrics in German. It somehow enables me to focus more. But sometimes I also find it distracting, especially when dealing with some complicated math problem.

I personally like listening to music while learning and I also find headphones very useful - as it was said before it drowns other noises. Laud music also prevent me from falling asleep :) I find music especially helpful when learning foreign languages. When I learn something for German I listen to songs with lyrics in German. It somehow enables me to focus more. But sometimes I also find it distracting, especially when dealing with some complicated math problem.

German music is pretty sick. Especially from the 80's. I love listening to French music like Zaz while doing French homework - oftentimes it helps with vocab.

I have 3 bands I listen to when I work. It really helps having a band you listen to when you work, as it gets you in a mood to work. Mumford & Sons, Bastille and Imagine Dragons!

Bastille! I was just listening to them when I read that post. I can definitely see myself putting some Bastille into a study playlist.

• 1 month later...

Music helps me when I'm fighting through an essay in the middle of the night and need to stay focused. I can't listen to music with any lyrics though, because then I follow along with the words in my head or start singing if I know the song. Usually, I pick an artist that I've never heard who sings in a different language and that works. I also discover new things about myself, like how I love golden age bollywood music :dance2:

I sometimes listen to instrumental classical or electronica, but it's usually something like an awesome soundtrack to a video game or movie or something along those lines. Contrary to seemingly everyone else, I prefer my music sans headphones.

This is really interesting! I was expecting more people to say 'no/its distracting' and I'm so surprised there's only 1 vote for that now!

I can only listen to music when I'm doing maths. Otherwise my mind is focused on singing along to the lyrics/songs and I absolutely can't concentrate in reading/writing/learning essays/textbooks. However, I can listen to songs and read/write posts on forums so maybe I'm a bit funny with that. :P

That coffitivity website is really interesting! I'm definitely going to try that soon - I find that if there's a lot of noise around me but I'm not actually talking to anyone, I can be more productive so that site might help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I typically don't when I'm writing an essay or something (and when I do, it's usually ambient/instrumental stuff), but otherwise I do all the time. Mostly when I'm working through problems, or doing repetitive tasks like lab reports. I think it keeps me focused, plus I don't feel like I'm in complete silence.

As for what I listen to, it's pretty much anything I like. It ranges from calm, ambient music to upbeat, electronic stuff. Generally instrumental, though that's more due to my taste of music.