EE in English B

shwareb

Hi guys, so I was thinking about writing my EE in English B, and I was hoping that you'd be able to provide me with tips about what I should write about.

I could first start of by telling you which subjects that I'm the most passionate about:

US Imperialism

Terrorism

Muslim Oppression in society

Multiculturalism

Integration/Assimilation

(They're kind of interlinked, but I read like 5-6 articles everyday about this so I'm very interested in this field)

So one idea would be:

"The role of the media of portraying islamic extremism, and the effect this has had upon the muslim community in Britain"

Of course this research question is too broad, and I would have to take one part of islamic extremism, or one radical islamist, perhaps Anjem Choudary. Maybe Britain is too broad and maybe I could focus on the moderates of the population in Luton in Britain where there are many muslims/ or London in general?
Maybe I could do a survey to ask the Londoners on "The Student Room" for their opinion on the media and the effect upon the muslims that this has had. The questions will be directed to both muslims and non-muslims :)

I am also hugely interested in the second gulf invasion (the war on Iraq in 2003), and maybe I could discuss the role of the media and/or the Bush Administration in pushing for the war. Maybe I could specifically focus on the language used to persuade people to side along the administration and their predetermined incentive to go to war.

Maybe a research question could look like this:

"To what extent do you believe that the use of emotive language by the Bush Administration contributed to the vast popular support for the Second Gulf Invasion"

Once again I could make a survey asking people this same question. Although it'd be quite hard to find people whom were 18+ at the time because really only they were old enough to understand what the country was getting itself into.

Another interesting idea would be to explore the effects that wars have upon language.

A Research question could be:

"The impact of the "Second Gulf Invasion" upon the English Language"... Something along those lines.
This seems interesting but maybe you could help me refine the Research question because it sounds very plain and boring, right?
Maybe the Second Gulf Invasion is to specific and I should discuss many wars instead?

I would also be interested in discussing the reasons for the increased popularity that right-wing extremist parties have been gaining lately. In Sweden for example, the Swedish Democrats have been experienced a huge surge in popularity in the past 7-8 years. The equivalent of that would be UKIP in the UK right? (Since the essay has to be focused on an English-speaking country.)
What role does language and culture, extremism play in this?
In such a case I would discuss how differing cultures and languages cause segregation, isolation and exclusion from society. How this in turn leads to unrest amidst the immigrant population which results in protest and rallies.This further increases the preexisting alienation between the immigrants and the British ====> UKIP gain more votes.

As I mentioned earlier I'm also interested in the idea of multiculturalism and would be interested in discussing it.
Maybe I should just analyze a piece of literature and discuss multiculturalism in that book.
Could there be a novel about this maybe? I heard about one called Alibrandi, but I don't know if it's good.

What do you think about my ideas?

Of course I am aiming for an A, and therefore when answering I want you to give me your honest opinion on whether you could see such an EE get an A, i.e. that it has potential to get an A.
If you've also researched something similar or are generally well-informed about the areas discussed above, it would be greatly appreciated and I would be eternally grateful if you could provide me with some sources which I could use for my EE, or at least tell me which topic you think I would find the most information about to produce a quality 4000 word research essay ;)

Please help IBers! (or other people!) :)

Cheers

Edited by shwareb

I can't exactly give you a topic, but I can show you some good examples.

Here are plenty of English Extended Essays: http://ibpal.com/search?category_id=519ec29adcbd43658f0000ec
Including one that scored a near perfect score of 35/36

And take a look at this document for some more sample topics: http://ibpal.com/docs/ee-guides-ee-11 look under the English and Literature sections

Best of luck!

• Like 1

I can't exactly give you a topic, but I can show you some good examples.

Here are plenty of English Extended Essays: http://ibpal.com/search?category_id=519ec29adcbd43658f0000ec

Including one that scored a near perfect score of 35/36

And take a look at this document for some more sample topics: http://ibpal.com/docs/ee-guides-ee-11 look under the English and Literature sections

Best of luck!

Thanks for the links, but the first one doesn't work for me :/

:)