Potentially starting IB Diploma next year - Subject selection help please?

emily127

Hi everyone,

I am an Australian currently in Year 10 and this term we are faced with the daunting task of choosing whether to do the HSC or IB, and what our subjects will be for either course.

I've done lots of research on both and I'm confident that the IB is the program for me - it's perfect in terms of the way I learn, study and think and gives me options for when I go to Uni. Plus, the ATAR conversions are excellent.

However, I have a few questions regarding subject selections and the Diploma in general -

1. Does choosing, say, Mathematical Studies SL over Maths HL affect your final score in any way? Understandably from a uni perspective it's better to get 45 with 'difficult' subjects than 45 with 'easy' subjects, but otherwise does it make a difference?

2. How difficult is the workload to adjust to, and how hard is it to become good at time management/organisation if you're not naturally organised?

3. What are your thoughts on my subject choices:

Maths Studies SL

German SL

Bio SL

English HL

Theatre HL

History HL

(my ultimate goal is, obviously, 45, but realistically I'm aiming from 33-40, is this reasonable?)

4. Can you tell me as much as you can about the IB Theatre HL program?

5. Is it true that you'll have no social life for the rest of high school if you do the IB?

6. Will I still have time for extracurricular activities (e.g school or community plays/musicals, dance, sport, etc.) and will these count towards CAS?

Thanks in advance for your time, I really, really appreciate it :blowkiss:

1. Does choosing, say, Mathematical Studies SL over Maths HL affect your final score in any way? Understandably from a uni perspective it's better to get 45 with 'difficult' subjects than 45 with 'easy' subjects, but otherwise does it make a difference?

> Unless you are choosing to enter a dominantly mathematical field of study such as engineering then this will in no way effect you. Math HL is extremely difficult and will take a lot of your time in order to keep up with the content. Choose SL.

2. How difficult is the workload to adjust to, and how hard is it to become good at time management/organisation if you're not naturally organised?

>As long as you keep up with everything then the workload isn't too hard. Just remember to keep updating your CAS profile and do not leave essays to the last minute.

Maths Studies SL

German SL

Bio SL

English HL

Theatre HL

History HL

(my ultimate goal is, obviously, 45, but realistically I'm aiming from 33-40, is this reasonable?)

>Good choices, broad base for university.

>N/A

5. Is it true that you'll have no social life for the rest of high school if you do the IB?

>This certainly isn't true, while the course is more demanding than most high school courses it does encourage you to have a social life as well. When I started IB I was worried about this, but discovered there is plenty of time for friends and going out.

6. Will I still have time for extracurricular activities (e.g school or community plays/musicals, dance, sport, etc.) and will these count towards CAS?

> Yes you will. I balanced a lot of things around the IB and there is still time for plenty of extracurricular activities, in fact these are encouraged . And as long as they fit into the categories ( Creativity, Action or Service) then it will all count towards CAS.

That all depends on what you would like to study after highschool and what Uni you would like to go to. Is it a comptetitive University or not? The competitive universities oftentimes has higher standards and expectations (since it's competitive, duuh :hmmm: ). For example, Oxbridge require HL maths for physics and other 'math realted' courses.
Also, Math HL is not all about being talanted in math, you also need a personal interest in it to not be bored to death. I choose studies, because I know I do not need it and I have always struggled with just math. But otherwise Math SL is a good choice if you still unsure of what you will do in the future. (btw, Math Studies SL and Math SL are not the same thing! It is widely different)

I can not stress enoug how imporant it is to not procrastinate and do your work when youre assigned to do so. Not the day before it is due.

Maths Studies SL

German SL

Bio SL

English HL

Theatre HL

History HL

It seems good. I guess your not really in to the sciences? But it is a good base for most University courses.
About scoring 33-40, I can see an issue with. You just have to work hard. It's not impossible

- My school does not offer that-

That is absolutely not true. You will have a lot of time to hang out with friends if you do your work when assigned. Also CAS can be fun to do with friends or get into study groups! And you get many friends in school! Personally I also hang out with a lot of friends that doesn't do the IB

Yes, you will have time to do that! Although at my school, school activities (activities performed trough school) isn't counted as CAS, except the school Musical.

No it does not affect anything but you do not want to start in Studies SL, but in Maths SL which is different. Unless you are brilliant in Maths and need it for a career pathway such as engineering. It does not make a difference, a 7 in studies, SL and HL are seen equal in respect to final grade out of 45.

Well it can be quite difficult, but you will get used to it, hopefully earlier than later on. You will find yourself getting more organized, or finding the need for it very early on and it is crucial!

Maths Studies SL

German SL

Bio SL

English HL

Theatre HL

History HL

Looks like you are definitely an English kind of person! It is hard to get a 7 in History I have heard, and you will have a fair few essays but they are good choices nonetheless. Most people in my school that have excelled in my school have chosen subjects like you have.

Well, I don't do it, but a friend does so I can't help much except that I don't believe it has a formal written exam but instead some oral presentations. They can be quiet long - about 15mins minimum I think. You might want to google the IB Theatre Syllabus. I am sure it will give a very clear outline on assessment etc.

You might find that there won't be many people in that class so your school may join classes with the HSC students doing Drama...this is what is happening at my school.

No it isn't true at all! I find that while I am not partying every weekend, neither are my friends and we do have the occasional birthday party or get togethers. The CAS requirements may also allow for socializing not with IB students only but with all sorts of new and old friends whether they do HSC or IB. I do debating and my team that consists of all my friends have met almost every week on a sunday and we prepare speeches and have fun at the same time... you may call that socializing :P That isn't it though, you can definitely maintain a healthy social life but don't overdo it!

Yes, and yes! CAS is a synonym for extracurricular activities!! Without them, you have no CAS!! Don't stop sport, community plays/service or musicals as you have something there for each of the 3 categories of Creative, Action and Service!

Hope this helped. :)