Hi guys, I have an Internal Assessment which is a commentary, based on microeconomics only, and it's due in 2 weeks! I was wondering whether any of you have good news articles that is related to what I'm doing (microeconomics), and a news article that I can easily do a commentary on (something that I can write a lot about)? Anyways, just hoping to get some suggestions! Thanks in advance! (:

Hi guys, I have an Internal Assessment which is a commentary, based on microeconomics only, and it's due in 2 weeks! I was wondering whether any of you have good news articles that is related to what I'm doing (microeconomics), and a news article that I can easily do a commentary on (something that I can write a lot about)? Anyways, just hoping to get some suggestions! Thanks in advance! (:

go to the news websites and look for articles related to market failure or market structures.. things in the micro section. make sure they aren't too long and to make sure you have the article, think if you'll be able to apply some economic theories in the scenario, with analysis and evaluation.. that kind of stuff..

I would recommend doing something on Supply and demand. It's an easy concept and there are many sample commentaries that focus on this simple relationship. The only thing you have to do is find an article that states the supply/demand of yy good has risen by xx%, and draw some graphs to go with it. I did my commentary on how the fishing industry is affected by international boarders and tied it to supply and gov't intervention. I doubt the competence of my econ teacher and the credibility of her marking, but I remember that I did pretty well on it.

• Like 2

I would recommend doing something on Supply and demand. It's an easy concept and there are many sample commentaries that focus on this simple relationship. The only thing you have to do is find an article that states the supply/demand of yy good has risen by xx%, and draw some graphs to go with it. I did my commentary on how the fishing industry is affected by international boarders and tied it to supply and gov't intervention. I doubt the competence of my econ teacher and the credibility of her marking, but I remember that I did pretty well on it.

i actually wouldn't recommend supply and demand.. i mean, only if you can't do a perfect analysis, otherwise it's okay to work with it.. you said that there are many sample commentaries on this and it's simple.. isn't that why you shouldn't work on them? from what I've heard, examiners prefer the different stuff.. not always and not literally different.. but i hope you get what i mean.. my commentary is on supply and equilibrium and some people were telling me to change it after i had finished it! luckily i talked to some teachers and they said that even if these topics are possibly 'simpler', if the analysis is good and the criteria is met then it's all good.. but for everyone who hasn't started yet, why take the chance... hope this helps..

• Like 1

i actually wouldn't recommend supply and demand.. i mean, only if you can't do a perfect analysis, otherwise it's okay to work with it.. you said that there are many sample commentaries on this and it's simple.. isn't that why you shouldn't work on them? from what I've heard, examiners prefer the different stuff.. not always and not literally different.. but i hope you get what i mean.. my commentary is on supply and equilibrium and some people were telling me to change it after i had finished it! luckily i talked to some teachers and they said that even if these topics are possibly 'simpler', if the analysis is good and the criteria is met then it's all good.. but for everyone who hasn't started yet, why take the chance... hope this helps..

Although I understand you preference for innovative topics, I found it quite hard to communicate my knowledge of complex economic topics in sub-800 words (there's also my lack of competency in econ, but that is beside the point). There is absolutely no penalty that I know of for choosing trite subject matter because a decent commentary on S&D will probably get a better score than a messy essay on examining sources of market failure.

Of course, I'm just an IB student myself so the best I can offer is my own advice. But the bottom line is that you don't need to come up with something spectacular or new to get a 7. Choose an area where you can demonstrate your economic knowledge, follow the rubric very carefully, and you're set!

Edited by by.andrew
  • Like 2

Although I understand you preference for innovative topics, I found it quite hard to communicate my knowledge of complex economic topics in sub-800 words (there's also my lack of competency in econ, but that is beside the point). There is absolutely no penalty that I know of for choosing trite subject matter because a decent commentary on S&D will probably get a better score than a messy essay on examining sources of market failure.

Of course, I'm just an IB student myself so the best I can offer is my own advice. But the bottom line is that you don't need to come up with something spectacular or new to get a 7. Choose an area where you can demonstrate your economic knowledge, follow the rubric very carefully, and you're set!

that's perfectly right man..got nothing against what you've said and it does make sense.. that was just my opinion.. and opinions differ so we can't really do much about that.. but yeah, what you just said is all correct..