IB study tips

iubirea_dulce

I'm going into my second and final year in the IB program and I really wana excel at not only my assignments and tests but also my final exams in May 2014. I have decent study habits but I feel that there are more things I can do to better prepare myself. I also want to develop some excellent study habits, compared to what I have now. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You shouldn't worry that much: it isn't that great of a deal honestly. You should be prepared for the exam by just reviewing the topics you viewed in class EVERY DAY and make some notes of the points that you didn't understand at the same time or that you get wrong in the exams. In the final day before the IB exams, just study all of your course material (even if it's superdense, you should have studied with some days in advance) and your notes which tell you the points that you need to reinforce.

And don't forget: no computer, no music, no sounds (buy ear plugs), and put next to you a GIGANTIC coffee container because you'll need it.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you work solidly throughout the final year the last few weeks before exams will be so much easier, and you can spend thattime refining rather than learning cotent.

Get you EE done during the summer or first one or two months of second year, it helped me a lot to not have to worry about it.

Have your summary notes done at least two or three months before your exams so you are not spending the last few weeks making notes.

Start doing past papers early, i'm talking start eight months before your exams. You may only do one paper a week, or even something as simple as a science paper 1. Even if you haven't covered all the topics yet, don't worry about 'running out' of papers to do- you won't. I did past papers really early for physics but only started doing them for chemistry about a month ago (my exams are next week) and it's probably not hard to guess which subject I feel significantly more confident with. (hint: it's physics)

As for some everyday tips, make lists everyday and before the start of each school week, and it's sounds silly but write more stuff then you will realistically do because that way you probably won't finish everything on your list but you will do more work than you would have if you'd been 'realiatic'. For example, if realistically on a weekend you'll complete 5 things, write down 10, you probably won't do 10 but you might do 7 (which is more than 5). But try not to burn yourself out, give yourself a break too!!

• 2 months later...

The best IB student will also be a teacher!mentor-300x240.jpg

After teaching for 32 years, I strongly believe this to be true. Obviously and IB student is a … student. However, it is really important that time is spent sorting out the material that is presented to you. All the courses are linear and so, when you come to revise in the second year, students must have a decent grip of the work. And this means, you need to have sorted out a lot of the difficult problems when you met them, not in revision. Courses like Physics (especially HL) are tough.