Should I drop the I.B. program? (IB JUNIOR)

TheBottledFiggletoe

Hello, I just have a few guidance questions at this point. I applied for the IB program at my home school during the last academic year. Since my home school does not have the IB program, I have to drive to the nearest IB school, which is over 1 hour and 10 minutes away from where I live. So far, I have mixed feelings about the program. I do extremely well in IB Spanish, IB Biology and History/ToK, however, I cannot seem to comprehend any of the other IB subjects at all. IB Math is extremely difficult for me to understand. I do not understand anything that my teacher is saying. When we have our daily bell quizzes, I only score a 1/6 or a 2/6 mark for every quiz. She is not a bad teacher, however, due to my CP Algebra II teacher not teaching us anything that we would need to know for future math courses, it just makes everything all the more difficult. I cannot even do the homework with the answers. I just have a huge headache for an hour, which eventually just makes write down random work for math. You can think of it as writing "Soduku" beside a math problem in order for the teacher to think that you did work. I can also not understand Chemistry! I do very exact thing in Chemistry. I cannot understand anything. I am literally just writing everything down that I see from Yahoo! Answers in order to show completion. English has to be the worst subject for me. We took a quiz just a few days ago and I scored a 0/15. We just took another quiz today over Oedipus Rex. I cannot imagine what I earned on that quiz. I cannot understand that book at all! There is a student who is tutoring students beginning next week for his CAS hours. Let me give me background information about my academics. I took only one college prep. class in 9th grade, which would have been English. During the second semester, I moved up to taking all college preparatory classes. Over my freshman summer, I did a summer course for Geometry course. By 10th grade, I was a year ahead in math and science. I was sad because only made the merit roll during my 10th grade year. I was on the the principal's list and honor roll during my freshman year. My parents were so upset with me. They made fun of me for making the merit roll. They really irritate me when I do not do very well in terms of something in school. They will even do that if I attempt my very best. I never really wanted to be in the IB program. I had no choice because I am not a student of the school that houses the IB program, therefore, I have to go through the entire program. I feel like a fish out of water in the IB program. I really need assistance right now! Thank you for responding to this thread.

• Like 1

IB is definitely a very hard thing to do. my first year was tough and i struggled alot but if you have to motivation and are determined to do it, push through, it gets better. I struggled in chemistry alot but going for help from the teacher is good and i finished with a 5 which i was really proud of. Just try your best go to teachers for help and if you feel like it is too difficult and not good for you then drop the hard courses and take partial IB!

• Like 1

Hey! The school you're going to won't let you just certificate?

@J. Gibbs - Assuming that you would be referring to the IBCC, I would have to say that our IB school does not have that program. I don't really know that much about the IBCC.

IB is definitely a very hard thing to do. my first year was tough and i struggled alot but if you have to motivation and are determined to do it, push through, it gets better. I struggled in chemistry alot but going for help from the teacher is good and i finished with a 5 which i was really proud of. Just try your best go to teachers for help and if you feel like it is too difficult and not good for you then drop the hard courses and take partial IB!

@maryosborne10 - How will this affect my chances of being admitted to a top-rated university? Also, would I be able to study IB courses that are not even at the school? Let me explain myself. I especially struggle in IB Math 11, correct? Well, would there be any way to take IB Math Studies SL through an online course? Also, would that be relative to eventually taking an AP Calculus course because if it is, then it would just be better to move over to an Honors Pre-Calculus course in order to take AP Calculus AB. Also, I feel like AP BIology wouls have been a better idea, however, I am not quite sure. I have no idea because I found the IB program toward the back of my home school's planner in the fine print. My school does not promote the IB program. I am not quite positive if I made the right choice.

I'm finishing my last year of the IB programme so I am actually not sure how it will affect your chances of getting into top universities. However the IB Programme requires you to do C.A.S which is a great thing to put onto university applications as it shows you are a well rounded student. I'm not sure how the IB Programme at your school works so I don't know about the online courses, sorry.

I don't think that you ca be in the ib if you aren't the one that wants to do it. Is there any way you can drop to easier classes? And talk to your teachers if you can! They are there to help you, but if this doesn't help, try and get multiple students or friends to help you since they might be able to explain it better, as in terms you can understand because of the age similarities.

I don't think that you ca be in the ib if you aren't the one that wants to do it. Is there any way you can drop to easier classes? And talk to your teachers if you can! They are there to help you, but if this doesn't help, try and get multiple students or friends to help you since they might be able to explain it better, as in terms you can understand because of the age similarities.

@IBidiot: I think that I would still be able to go through "partial" IB. I would, however, not receive the diploma. Additionally, I would have to go through open enrollment if I do not go through the entire program. I have no idea as to why I even joined. I guess I joined because the curriculum coordinator told me that he would be able to have me enrolled in either IB or AP Computer Science, however, that never happened. I talked to the teacher regarding Computer Science. He told me that he would gladly take me in, however, he is required to "see how his administrators want to handle the situation." He said the he would be back with me last week. He never did say one word to me. I am thinking about moving with one of relatives who lives in the Orlando-Kissimmee area due to the fact that he lives within walking distance of an IB school with Computer Science. It saves the outrageous fuel expenses that are very much not necessary. Plus, I have no idea in regards to if I still want to fully go through with the entire IB program. I guess I like the IB program because I can be in an area where I can actually think due to the fact that the students are not generating distractions. I, however, still cannot concentrate at home due to the fact that I have no place to work. No offense, however, my mother is basically a brute who moved to this country to become a leech with no job or diploma. She basically just bickers and argues all day. I do not even have a clean spot to do my homework. Believe me, it is extremely difficult to do my homework on a leather couch due to the fact that it is not a table. My can be considered to be a storage facility. All of these factors are preventing me from doing well in the IB program. This leads to my next question. How lost would I be in the curriculum if I would move to Florida? I basically live in the Northern United States. I heard that missing one day of the IB program would be similar to missing 3 days of a typical high school, which makes me extremely nervous and worried in regards to my academics.

By certificate, I mean they won't just let you do partial? Like, take maybe IB SL Lit your junior year and IB HL senior year, but not get the whole actual diploma.

I will probably not take an HL course over English during my senior year. I have no idea if I still want the diploma. That seems beyond difficult for my current position.

You mentioned CP classes. I don't know if they are in different states or not. Are you in Georgia? XD

No, I do not live in Georgia, however, I was there 5 months ago. I actually live in Ohio. I think that it is just a national way of identifying a course in high school.

Alternatives:

• C.P.
  • Pre-A.P.
  • Extended
  • Honors

All of those identifiers basically carry the same meaning. Each school just has a slight potential variation.

Edited by TheBottledFiggletoe
  • Like 1

@IBidiot: I think that I would still be able to go through "partial" IB. I would, however, not receive the diploma. Additionally, I would have to go through open enrollment if I do not go through the entire program. I have no idea as to why I even joined. I guess I joined because the curriculum coordinator told me that he would be able to have me enrolled in either IB or AP Computer Science, however, that never happened. I talked to the teacher regarding Computer Science. He told me that he would gladly take me in, however, he is required to "see how his administrators want to handle the situation." He said the he would be back with me last week. He never did say one word to me. I am thinking about moving with one of relatives who lives in the Orlando-Kissimmee area due to the fact that he lives within walking distance of an IB school with Computer Science. It saves the outrageous fuel expenses that are very much not necessary. Plus, I have no idea in regards to if I still want to fully go through with the entire IB program. I guess I like the IB program because I can be in an area where I can actually think due to the fact that the students are not generating distractions. I, however, still cannot concentrate at home due to the fact that I have no place to work. No offense, however, my mother is basically a brute who moved to this country to become a leech with no job or diploma. She basically just bickers and argues all day. I do not even have a clean spot to do my homework. Believe me, it is extremely difficult to do my homework on a leather couch due to the fact that it is not a table. My can be considered to be a storage facility. All of these factors are preventing me from doing well in the IB program. This leads to my next question. How lost would I be in the curriculum if I would move to Florida? I basically live in the Northern United States. I heard that missing one day of the IB program would be similar to missing 3 days of a typical high school, which makes me extremely nervous and worried in regards to my academics.

Sorry for the late reply. Its been pretty busy were I am:)

Would your family be okay with you moving all of the way to Florida? I would go for it if you truly want to stay in the program, but this may be a bit brash. If you have to stay in the north, is there any way you can take a computer science class in a local college? Oh and if you were to move, I would try and shoot for a Christmas break or something where everyone might be on or near the same page. Its hard moving to a completely different place, especially if you have no idea where the Florida kids are in their subjects, but the IB programme was designed so that students could move anywhere in the world and still continue their subjects.

Just think about if you actually want to stay in. I don't stay in for the curriculum because believe me, AP would have been a lot easier and more manageable. The only reason I stay in is because of the environment and the teachers. They actually care, which is nice. It might take some time to figure out, but if you can, and this is a stretch, try and visit that relative and get a tour of the school, maybe visit a few of the IB classes.

As far as your mom goes, I can sort of relate, but its mainly due to the fact that my mom is burnt out on raising kids and everything that goes with it, including the mess. But my mess includes books and papers not anything else. I now just go to the library until around 8 on most days and sometimes with a group of students, run when I get home, and then wake up early. If I have club stuff to do, I just lock myself in my room, which gets lonely, but hey, what else am I to do? Just gotta stay out of my moms way and everything's fine :rolleyes:

Edited by IBidiot

I'm sorry that you're having such a difficult time of it!First of all, is there any way you could ask the teachers for help in your classes that you have difficulty in. For math, for example. if you explain to your teacher that your previous teacher was useless, I'm sure he/she would be more than willing to help you get caught up, as well as explain what you're currently working on. For English, that may be a bit more difficult, but maybe if you can talk the books and such over with a classmate or again, the teacher? Lastly, for chemistry I was absolutely horrible when I took the first year last year. I am lucky to have friends that are absolute whizzes at science so I stayed after school with them or met up with them at a Starbucks or something to discuss all of the topics until I had them down. The first half of chem really is memorization and application, so if you can remember the principles that's at the very least an excellent start.

To be honest, for me this is only my third week of school. For you I'm sure it's been longer, but if you can, try to make it through two months and see how it goes. That's the advice of a former grad of my IB school. Just give it a bit of a chance. I do agree that the commute is frankly ridiculous, but I suppose it can't be helped.

If you ever need help with anything, I'm willing to talk with you! If you're in math SL, I'm currently taking that class so I can help you out with the stuff you're having trouble with! Even if you're math studies, I'm still willing to offer what I know. I can even try and help with English if you want. Sadly I forgot everything I knew about chemistry, but I can talk to a couple friends and see if they kept their notes. Honestly, just shoot me a PM if ever you need a study buddy.

Good luck!