Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shorty

Variety of Activities?

Is it important to have a wide variety of different activities that gives smaller amounts of hours than 2 or 3 activities that give a larger amount of hours?

Right now, I have 2 activities but I have my year 1's hours met and at this pace I can finish my year 2 hours no problem. Should I try to get a more variety of activities or just stick with the 2 I have?

I think you should do a variety of activities. Colleges would like students who are well-rounded.

From what I have heard, it is better to complete a wide range of different activities, although activities where you spend a lot of hours are also good to have in your CAS summary, because it shows commitment.

No matter what activities you do for CAS, you must make sure they provide enough variety in themselves. If you decide on doing the 2-3 activities with longer hours, they must not be repetitive. If you do more activities with shorter hours, you should be covered. Either way works, as long as there is variety, like I said.

Although having a wide-range of activities is much better it is not a requirement. But yes in answer to your question, it is important to have a different variety of activites - as I think without this, it would take out the whole point of CAS, as it isn't about just completing the hours, its what you gained from it as well. I hope I'm making some sense here :P

yes you are making heaps of sense jangy. in fact i completely agree with you.

Can participation in model united nations be considered as CAS?

It most definitely is. Our CAS coordinator counts it as creativity, but because you can finish creativity hours with MUN so easily, he regulated the creativity category by 'forcing' candidates to submit 3 different activities for creativity. Theoretically, we should do that for all three categories, but he's pretty lenient about the other two.

Our DPC prefers continious activities in each sphere. That is, probably, to ensure the student's commitment and struggle to improve himself on a continious path.