"Knowledge is nothing more than a systematic organisation of facts" Discuss with two aok's

12345mono

So I opted for this title for tok essay, and I pretty much narrowed it down to this

The two aok's

Mathematics

Arts

Now I planned to start of with defining what knowledge is and what facts are?

Now, the reason I decided to talk about these two aok's is because I want to have a balanced argument as math on one hand is to a greater extent is facts ( pure mathematics would be my counter-claim)

On the other hand art is so much more than just facts ( I have to decide my counter claim)

Now, after thinking and going through some sites I thought of writing about mona lisa

Imagine if knowledge was really about facts then the knowledge of mona lisa would be that it was painted by davinci . Thats it nothing more ? Whereas knowledge of mona lisa is so much more than that, its about why did davinci paint her, what theroies he used , how he combined his knowledge of math, physics and common observational tech's ( as to what he painted in the background : the shades of blue ?)

and came up with a master piece, now the issue is

1) as you see its all in bits and pieces in my head not organized and not at all clear

2) I dont know what to talk about in math? I mean my supervisor is just delaying our meetings everyday and I cant come up with anything

3) Dont really have a counter claim for arts

4) The only knowledge issue I came up with is : What is the difference between knowledge and information?

Please could you guys suggest me some ideas to reflect upon? Thank you.

• Like 1

The most important part of this essay is going to be incorporating your own views into this. Use your experiences in math, whether this relate to the concepts behind money, time, or mathematical theories. As for the rest of your essay, I can't exactly help you until you throw out a thesis for all of us to think about. Any information or ideas you come up with will be useless without a thesis.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am writing on the same prompt for my TOK essay. I see you have chosen Mathematics and Art as your AOK's. Well I have taken my AOK's as Mathematics and History. Now Mathematics can be flawed, as in being a theory. Yet I would like to point out that the only "Systematical Organization" in mathematics is the counting system including the Dewey Decimal system. Both involve Numerical representations. Moving on to History. In choosing History I am looking at it from the chronological point of view, including mandating artifacts. By evaluating History as an AOK, it becomes harder to determine whether that Mathematics has essentially proven time and dates. Which brings me to the next point which would involve carbon dating artifacts, ex Egyptian Pyramids. How sure are these archaeologists that the Pyramids were built in 2,500 BC?

Just that I would point that out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! how should I do approach this same tok prescribed title 3, using economics and psychology in the AOK? Thanks in advance

Those both fall into the Human Sciences, so that's only one AoK. You will need to choose another to complete the question, just FYI.