Math EE Topic Feedback 2

IB .

Hey IBers,

I just thought of some potential topics for my math EE. Please give me some feedback that will help me build on the following topics or even tell me if they are not appropriate for this assessment:

Something that deals with pool. Such as the use of mathematics (geometry, and other branches of math) to perform an efficient game of pool?

The use of geometry and other branches of mathematics to efficiently kick a soccer ball from different locations of a soccer field.

These are some thoughts that came to mind. I just want to know if any of them are worth talking about for an EE.

Thanks

So, mechanics-related topics?

Sounds fine depending on how you do it, but make sure to keep it focused on maths. There's an EE from the "50 extended essays" which looks at a problem involving pool which scores highly, but I've also found one based on shooting an arrow which didn't because it was too physics-focused (I unfortunately can't upload/link either since the first is copyrighted and I lost the second). You'll need to narrow down the topic further and since it's rather board at this point, but it sounds like a good start.

Really though, why do you have so many different topics on your EE? It'll really be easier to keep it as one topic since you are just brainstorming ideas, plus most of the threads aren't getting more than 2-3 replies at most. It'll be a lot better for future students looking up information on maths EE's, to have a single thread about it.

• Like 2

Yes, I looked at the Alhazen's Billard Problem. What I am trying to aim for is:

The efficiency of the use of a specific branch of geometry (one that corresponds to this topic) to model bank shots, jump shots, and accuracy of a game in pool.

How does that sound?

Any recommendations, suggestions, criticism?

Thanks