Interactive Oral Tips

Thursday this week, already? You're not leaving yourself much time...

Here are some ideas what it is about:

BASICS

The IOP usually lasts 10-15 minutes. It is based on a work or works studied in part 4 of the syllabus. You choose a topic in consultation with the teacher (I take it you have t really done this?)

FOCUS

Choice of topic-focus

the cultural setting of the work(s) and related issues

thematic focus

characterization

techniques and style

the authors attitude to particular elements of the works (for example, character(s), subject matter)

the interpretation of particular elements from different perspectives.

ACTIVITIES

Here is a list of possible activities, but these are only examples of what you can do... This is taken verbatim from the Lit. guide.

A critique of the students own writing that has been produced in the style of one of the literary genres studied

An explanation of a particular aspect of an authors work

The examination of a particular interpretation of a work

The setting of a particular writers work against another body of material, for example, details on social background or political views

A commentary on the use of a particular image, idea or symbol in one text or in a writers work

A performance or a pastiche of a poem being studiedthis activity should be followed by some explanation and discussion of what the student attempted to do

A comparison of two passages, two characters or two works

A commentary on a passage from a work studied in class, which has been prepared at home

An account of the students developing response to a work

The presentation of two opposing readings of a work

A monologue or dialogue by a character at an important point in the work

Reminiscences by a character from a point in later life

An authors reaction to a particular interpretation of elements of his or her work in a given context (for example, a critical defence of the work against a charge of subversion, or immorality, before a censorship board)

**** NOTE: if you choose to do a creative presentation, you must provide a rationale for what you have done. Very important!!

AT THE END

After your presentation, expect some discussion with your teacher and classmates. The teacher will to probe further into your knowledge and understanding of the work(s) or topic. Your teacher should be satisfied that you are justified in your selection of:

the material used in the presentation

the activity chosen to convey the topic

the suitability of the style of presentation.

Remember to look carefully at the criteria. These will give you an idea what counts. Hope this was useful. Let me know. Good luck!

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 2

Just a discussion? 30 minutes... Ok. That could be a long time if you have no material...

Do you understand what the objectives of the discussion are? Did your teacher clarify this? How will you be assessed, if at all?

Down to brass tacks:

TIP # 1 Always a very good step in literature: focus on the text.

In fact, you could focus on one or two passages that you think are significant in some way. Or revealing. Revealing of character, style or theme. IF you have no other directions for the talk, then this cannot be wrong and you'll get plenty of good mileage by studying closely some aspect of the work. It will help you avoid talking huge generalities, making sweeping statements, indulging in platitudes, spilling truisms.

TIP #2 make sure you have a clear, worthwhile point. One or more. If more than one, make sure they are related somehow. It is worth spending time on formulating a clear thesis. Nail it at the end in a good conclusion (don't just repeat what you already said) and suggest why it is significant for readers- including, of course, your classmates.

TIP # 3 leads on from the previous... Never begin "today I' m gonna talk about..." Nobody cares what you are going to talk about. They will if you give them a reason for sitting up and paying attention. In other words, address your talk to your classmates. Think of them in terms of readers and thinkers - like you. They are more likely to give you the time of day.

Ok so the last one was more about presentation technique.

Kafka is not easy to understand, but he is well studied. There is plenty available that should spark some ideas for a presentation

Does this help? Let me know

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 1

hey guys!

I have my first Interactive Orals due on Thursday and I have no idea as to what exactly I'm supposed to do. I have taken Literature. and I have my IO on Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

any tip or suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks

Cheers! :D

we had a practice one a while back.. just take part in the discussion as much as you can and write down the important things that were talked about the whole time. you have to write these down quickly while listening to whatever's going on. this is very important because as far as i know, the reflective statement is based on the interactive oral.. so it technically counts..

• Like 2