3. 'Knowledge is nothing more than the systematic organisation of facts". Discuss. Help needed

Bgtavener

I have chosen title 3 for my ToK essay. However, I need some help with my essay. Does anyone have any ideas? I have chosen to answer this question with reference to natural sciences and ethics. Which examples could I use?? I get the main idea. Knowledge is a process that involves the systematic organisation of facts BUT also requires the analysis/interpretation/experience/context of these facts. For example, a computer may systematically compile data on the characteristics of a person or thing without actually knowing the person or thing. As a keen geography student, I would like to try and use global warming as an example for natural sciences. Also if anyone has any links that might help, please do share.

Many thanks in advance!

Just some tips really:

• Remember to define all the terms in the question, most importantly what is KNOWLEDGE and a 'systematic organisation' and 'facts'. Also, does a systematic organisation of facts mean that someone else, probably an authority, organise our knowledge for us? Is this reliable?
  • When looking at this question look at different ways we 'know' through areas of knowledge. i.e. is knowledge through ethics really a 'systematic organisation of facts'? If it is, why is it that what we each know as 'ethically right' can change from person to person (specifically looking at culture)?
  • Remember to be critical, using your own opinion throughout, giving your own interpretations. Your insight into ToK should really come through with the essay
  • Good luck! I hope this helps! (sorry if it doesnt :crying: )
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...