Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CaptainCook

Lab Report
IA - problem with formulating hypothesis

Hi :),

I'm writing IA, in which I try to determine mass percent of CaCO3 in an eggshell but I have a problem with formulating a hypothesis. My teacher suggested that my hypothesis should be that I assume that there's no CaCO3 in the eggshell, however, I thought that my hypothesis should be supported by literature (which says that there's about 95% CaCO3). Do you think that hypothesis that my teacher suggested is appropriate? I calculated that it is approximately 91% if that can be of any help. Thanks!

In formulating a hypothesis, it would normally be best if you do include some form of concrete information. In this case, it is best to provide that you should say theres about 95% CaCO3, this would give examiners the impression that you actually have a rough idea on what you are exploring. Remember if you calculate 91% instead of 95%, you need to justify the difference and perhaps provide room for improvement (if it is possible to improve) to achieve your calculated guess :)

In formulating a hypothesis, it would normally be best if you do include some form of concrete information. In this case, it is best to provide that you should say theres about 95% CaCO3, this would give examiners the impression that you actually have a rough idea on what you are exploring. Remember if you calculate 91% instead of 95%, you need to justify the difference and perhaps provide room for improvement (if it is possible to improve) to achieve your calculated guess :)

Thanks! :)

Hi :),

I'm writing IA, in which I try to determine mass percent of CaCO3 in an eggshell but I have a problem with formulating a hypothesis. My teacher suggested that my hypothesis should be that I assume that there's no CaCO3 in the eggshell, however, I thought that my hypothesis should be supported by literature (which says that there's about 95% CaCO3). Do you think that hypothesis that my teacher suggested is appropriate? I calculated that it is approximately 91% if that can be of any help. Thanks!

There should be NO hypothesis in an IA write-up.

If you read the extended information regarding IA you will see this.