BMS IA HL RQ HELP PLEASE!

I wanted to do " Should (name of the company) invest in building a shopping complex to increase revenue?"

but then i visited them, they told me they have decided (and signed a contract) to build it (very) recently. is my RQ still valid? how do i rephrase help please!!!!!!!!!!!

it's a big company btw, but imanaged to get some datas.

and i was thinking of doing SWOT, Investment appraisal, marketing mix (to know whether the shopping complex is profitable or not), and decision tree (but decision is already made, so how?)

is this appropriate?

The company made a decision, but they don't yet know whether the decision is a good one. Your RQ starts with SHOULD which implies that there could be a plus and minus of building the shopping complex. I think that this is still appropriate as you can just rephrase the question into past tense: "Was it a good idea for (name of the company) to invest in building a shopping complex?". You can then do your investigation the same way (i do't see anything you would have to change). Hope this helped

The company already made decision so you should rephrase the question in the above way. But what is the ...

Type of company: public or private ?

Products in the market: mass produced or unique and costly product?

Product portfolio: product (food/machinery) or service?

Include all the above points and you RQ might be good.

Hmm.. you should be careful with your RQ... I kind of disagree about just rephrasing it into the past tense.

There's a criteria about the Value to Management (4 marks) which includes whether the report is "forward-looking" - which yours will not be.

The report also includes you needing to do "Recommendations" - what are you going to be able to recommend? All you'll be able to say Yes it was a good idea or No it wasn't. Research Questions that are Yes/No questions are not good ones.

If anything, if you still wanted to do this past looking RQ you should at least make it "To what extent was it a good idea…" :)

So from what my teacher has constantly stressed to my class, a forward-looking RQ is the way to go. I guess you could still do yours.. but you'll definitely lose marks in Criteria E and most likely D as well. Personally, I would not do this question and try to look for a better thing to research? Is there anything else you might be able to do it on? I hope this helps :)

• Like 1

actually, the company that im doing have already decided to build the shopping complex in the area but they still have a lot of other projects to consider. They have this big land where they want to make it into an aeropolis. One of the suggestions would be to create a theme park but still couldnt find any other companies to work with (as joint venture or anything). do u think it's better if i do it on that? But then I don't actually quite understand how are you able to have the figures (for investment appraisal etc).. estimation?

they used to create a hotel and it was very successful..

Edited by fufufuufufufufuuu

well, i'm kind of in the same situation as you because i don't know how i'm going to implement all the investment appraisal techniques and all.. but my teacher told me that i need to get these figures from the company(initial investment and all). so it's not exactly an estimation, you have to get em from the company.

the theme park thing sounds alright. testing the companies feasibility of opening a theme park. you could get feedback from the general public in that area or things like that. but since you mentioned that you can't find another company for a venture, that might be a problem. just see if you're able to do it without a venture. the idea isn't bad.

if not, you could still go ahead with the shopping complex idea. and also ask your teacher if you could assume that the contract hasn't been signed.. not sure if that's allowed or not, but if it is, you can just test the feasibility of constructing a shopping complex?

and back to the venture part, if this company can open things on its own, you can test pretty much anything. from cinemas to theme parks. just talk to them and see what they have in mind.

• Like 1