Test the effect of different concentrations (0, 0.5, 1, 1.5 and 2) of glucose on the osmosis of potatoes and sweet potatoes.

martinedouillet

Good evening guys,

I am taking biology SL and I have a lab report to write about "Test the effect of different concentrations (0, 0.5, 1, 1.5 and 2) of glucose on the osmosis of potatoes and sweet potatoes." It is going to be my first IA.

The problem is that my results make no sense at all. My teacher told me that I could not do it again so I have to write an IA anyways.

My questions are:

• What was actually suppose to happen ?
  • How do I write a conclusion when the results don't make sense ?
  • How do I write the data processing ?

Thank you for your help!

• Like 1

Depending on the concentrations of glucose solutions, you will get a hypertonic/hypotonic or isotonic solution. You should have measured something regarding the size/mass or even (worst case scenario) qualitative observations of the potato in different solutions. For a highly concentrated solution of glucose, the potato would lose water, i.e. water diffuses out of potato into solution. For low concentration of glucose, water diffuses into the potato making it swell.

For your conclusion, it is simply a report/statements about your findings. It doesn't have to be accurate. Just restate what you have observed and answer the RQ.

The evaluation section is where you will try to make comments on precision and accuracy of the experiment. You can comment whether the experimental data collected was valid/invalid and how systematic errors affected the experiment.