Help grading SAT essays?

pwoperfish

I'm doing the SAT in December and I've been practicing for a few months. But until a week ago, I had completely forgotten about the essay! I'm not going to classes or getting coached so I need someone to grade my essays and give me feedback, because I really need the help. I have just over 2 weeks left and I really need to practice a lot because I'm not good at writing very concise, thoughtful essays in a short amount of time. If anyone could help me out, just send me a message. Thanks!

Guest Lognarithm

Main piece of advice: Even if you don't write well, FILL UP THE TWO PAGES! That will actually guarantee you a higher score, probably a 9 or above. Then it's just worrying about structure (did you plan it well), content (some good vocab, counter-points, support for your argument) and being consistent. You can realistically get at least a 10 if you fill up the two pages you get and have a somewhat organized essay with a refute to a counterargument.

Thanks for that! I have one question though- is it true that the SAT graders prefer it when you have examples from history in your essay? I've never been interested in politics and I haven't taken history as a subject for 4 years now, so there's no way I can write about those! I'm more of a personal-experience person, with the occasional reference from literature.

Also, I've read a few sample essays on the net and everyone seems to be using very 'grown-up' words. I prefer writing in simple language (and most of the time I write in a very colloquial style- I'll try not to do that for the SAT though), so will that effect my score as well?
The good thing is that my spellings are hardly ever wrong and I like to think my grammar is fine most of the time. I also have a good imagination so I can make up 'experiences' on the spot. XD

Guest Lognarithm

Quotes, specific examples, etc. can be used as well as personal anecdotes to boost your grade (and assertion). You can also fudge something up, like maybe making up a personal example or a minor history fact. Try being precise and formal, avoid colloquialisms yo.

Personally I like using examples from literature. My personal favorites are dystopian novels because they can fit into almost any prompt easily (most prompts ask you to comment on society). You BS almost any example for a potential 12/12 though.

IMO The key to success:

• Fill the pages up with minimal redundancy.
  • Pick a distinct side and use 2 or 3 elaborate examples to support it.
  • Have a distinct introduction, conclusion, body paragraphs with introducing sentences; standard essay structure (optional but looks nice)
  • Spell correctly and use proper grammar; you took SAT writing for a reason! Proofread!
  • Throw in some large words that you may find in the SAT reading section for a bonus.