So this year's G4 project is on transportation. Since I'm only in Biology IB, then I have to do a bio G4. So my group decided to do something on diffusion (passive transport, transport of water, teacher approved of that). So we want to manipulate the colour/ wavelength of light shone upon a plant and see how it affects the rate of diffusion of water in the roots. We're going to measure the mass of the plant before and after a certain time frame. The colour of light used will be altered (6 colours of light used) with 6 plants (all the same types). We are going to shine the light on the plant in a room fairly dark so no external light can affect the plant and be shone upon the plant. We're going to time each plant around 20 min (time frame can change from 10 min to 24 hours, depending on your suggestions). We're going to water the plant 10-20 mL of water and then start timing. Don't spoil the result and tell me if it will work or not, just tell me if it's a good idea and some improvements and suggestions. As well, is it possible to do all this within 1 week given only 4 work periods starting now? Thanks!

Some fragmented thoughts:

• I'm not sure if 20min. will be sufficient to see a noticeable change. This is purely based on intuition and empirical observations, but I only need to water plants once per few days.
  • You MUST have a control for this experiment (no light) to see how much water evaporates in to air rather than be affected by the light.
  • If you are measuring masses, do you have equipment that will be able to detect minute changes in mass? To what certainty/precision?
  • Did you do sufficient research and have a hypothesis? Do you have the lab completely designed (i.e. variables and materials)?