Odds in my Favour?

jjeonju

I took my IB entrance exam today (St. Robert CHS) and I don't think I did so well - I guessed an answer from the mathematics section and left one question unanswered, and I don't think I did the greatest in the language section. I also didn't have much time to check over my answers, and barely skimmed through my math answers before time was up D:

I'm going to garner a guess and say that about 800 students applied this year, and from the previous year, there were 5 IB classes, so if there were about 30 students in each class, about 150 were accepted.

St. Robert CHS will look at a small writing sample, the language and math exams, my IEP, my grade 7 final report card and my grade 8 progress report. My writing sample wasn't really "exceptional" in my opinon, as I know that there are many aspiring writers out there who will also be applying for the program at St. Robert. My lowest mark in the grade 7 final report card was an 85, and my highest mark was a 95 in writing. I've achieved all progressing very wells with the exception of one (a progressing well in Geography) in the Grade 8 progress report, and I'm currently in the Gifted program.

Although I don't think I did fantastic on the entrance exams, do I still stand a chance in being accepted into the St. Robert IB program, with that many people applying? Please be honest!

Thank you!

Edited by jjeonju

I don't know this school and I doubt many others, if any, on here do either. However, all I can tell you is not to worry. You've done the exam now and even though waiting will feel so long, there's nothing you can do. Even if you don't get in, which might happen :( you sound like you work hard and are interested in your studies, so you will do well no matter what. Just get your mind off it for now. Good luck!

• Like 1

If it is any consolation to you, I'd say that what the school is doing sounds very weird to me. IB takes students and hones them into smart, capable and resourceful students. Many many "slackers" in my school got their sh*t together doing the IB. I don't understand the point of being all elitist about it, handpicking students to do the program. Next thing you know, they'll start asking you for personal statements and teacher references.

• Like 1

I don't know this school and I doubt many others, if any, on here do either. However, all I can tell you is not to worry. You've done the exam now and even though waiting will feel so long, there's nothing you can do. Even if you don't get in, which might happen :( you sound like you work hard and are interested in your studies, so you will do well no matter what. Just get your mind off it for now. Good luck!

Thank you so much. It's painful waiting - I've found out so many mistakes that I've made on the test that could've been corrected with even a mere 5 minutes of extra time. Hopefully all goes well. . . . . . . :(

Would you mind sharing your experience with the entrance of the IB program?

If it is any consolation to you, I'd say that what the school is doing sounds very weird to me. IB takes students and hones them into smart, capable and resourceful students. Many many "slackers" in my school got their sh*t together doing the IB. I don't understand the point of being all elitist about it, handpicking students to do the program. Next thing you know, they'll start asking you for personal statements and teacher references.

I agree - But they must narrow the number of potential IB students down from the sea of them that applied. If you don't mind me asking, though, could you perhaps share your IB entrance experience?

Thank you so much. It's painful waiting - I've found out so many mistakes that I've made on the test that could've been corrected with even a mere 5 minutes of extra time. Hopefully all goes well. . . . . . . :(

For my school there is no entrance requirements, its open to everyone and to be honest, it's not really very academic. It's also an international school and is very small.

But I did do an exam for another school and didn't get in, just like with my university application to Oxford. It's devastating to be honest, it really is. Especially after having to wait so long and you think over and over again about it and think about what it will be like to get in. This is why I can tell you that thinking about it is just a waste of your time. Either you get in or you don't. It doesn't define who you are and it definitely doesn't define how intelligent you are and what you are capable of. I really hope you all the best, but just wait till you get the results. I wish you all the best, I really do (even though I don't know you!). The point of the IB is to push yourself, and if you can do this no matter what school you're at, all the better of you!

Edited by under-cover
  • Like 1

For my school there is no entrance requirements, its open to everyone and to be honest, it's not really very academic. It's also an international school and is very small.

But I did do an exam for another school and didn't get in, just like with my university application to Oxford. It's devastating to be honest, it really is. Especially after having to wait so long and you think over and over again about it and think about what it will be like to get in. This is why I can tell you that thinking about it is just a waste of your time. Either you get in or you don't. It doesn't define who you are and it definitely doesn't define how intelligent you are and what you are capable of. I really hope you all the best, but just wait till you get the results. I wish you all the best, I really do (even though I don't know you!). The point of the IB is to push yourself, and if you can do this no matter what school you're at, all the better of you!

Again - thank you so, so much. This was probably one of the best answers I've gotten, from the many I've received from friends and forums. I will try my very best to forget about it, and hopefully everything turns out well. Thanks again!

I applied to St. Robs a while ago and got in. I am currently in another IB program very close to Robs right now, and some of my ingenious peers got rejected from Robs. Not to scare you anything, but I think there is an element of randomness to it.

Some of my stats:

Overall average for report card was mid 80s. I also had quite a lot of 70s from Art. High 80s or low 90s for everything else.

I was a gifted student, like you. My school is quite close to St. Robs (I think geographical proximity may also play an effect in admissions...)

My recs from teachers were probably ok~good.

My year didn't have a writing sample.

CAT (standardized test that you may have done) was very good. I prepared for the SSATs a while back, and they were pretty much the same things.

I had one hook: I did well on some math contests (first for National math league and Gauss).

To be very honest, St. Rob's is very random. My marks were fairly low and still got accepted. My friend from elementary school had all 90s and got rejected from Robs (granted, his learning skills were quite poor for some reason). He currently attends the same school as me, and he is quite happy here.

I'm obviously not an expert with St.Rob's admissions. But your current marks are stellar, and I think the most most you can do right now is wait.

Good luck, and I really hope you get in!

• Like 1

I applied to St. Robs a while ago and got in. I am currently in another IB program very close to Robs right now, and some of my ingenious peers got rejected from Robs. Not to scare you anything, but I think there is an element of randomness to it.

Some of my stats:

Overall average for report card was mid 80s. I also had quite a lot of 70s from Art. High 80s or low 90s for everything else.

I was a gifted student, like you. My school is quite close to St. Robs (I think geographical proximity may also play an effect in admissions...)

CAT (standardized test that you may have done) was very good. I prepared for the SSATs a while back, and they were pretty much the same things.

I had one hook: I did well on some math contests (first for National math league and Gauss).

To be very honest, St. Rob's is very random. My marks were fairly low and still got accepted. My friend from elementary school had all 90s and got rejected from Robs (granted, his learning skills were quite poor for some reason). He currently attends the same school as me, and he is quite happy here.

I'm obviously not an expert with St.Rob's admissions. But your current marks are stellar, and I think the most most you can do right now is wait.

Thank you so much for this information! I don't think I did so well with the CAT tests, but hopefully my Grade 7 and 8 marks make up for it :/

If you don't mind me asking, how was your experience with the IB program in St. Robs? And what school did you attend prior to it?

Thanks again! :)

Some of my stats:

Thank you so much for this information! I don't think I did so well with the CAT tests, but hopefully my Grade 7 and 8 marks make up for it :/

If you don't mind me asking, how was your experience with the IB program in St. Robs? And what school did you attend prior to it?

Thanks again! :)

I sent you a PM :D

I'm not actually from Robs, and don't worry about the CATs! Your marks are probably more than enough to get you in. Even if you don't get into IB, most of the schools in York Region are excellent, especially the ones in Markham and Richmond Hill.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at this stage myself trying to get into IB.. The fact of the matter is that we have to change the things we can, and live with those we cant. It is out of your hands now. You sound like the kind of person that would feel at home among us IB'ers, and with your marks it seems like you have a pretty good shot. I'm an American, so I'm not educated in the acceptance process of the school in question but good luck, it seems like you got at least a couple people rooting for you.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hey, I did the St.Roberts  IB test. The application process was based on exam results.

My mom would tell me to expand my vocabularies. However, I refused and defied her. My mom was worried that I will not get admitted.  I thought wait a second I have inadequate amount of vocabularies. Therefore, I started to learn new vocabularies and  review them. I would spend so much time learning and reviewing the vocabularies and not doing what I am interested at. On November 2018, I had to write the admission assessment. In the end I thought the test was fairly easy. Few months later, I got denied from St.Roberts IB program. I ended up getting frustrated and even menace myself. I would slap, and hit myself. I would say," I want to attempt a suicide." After, my parents told me that my approach did not work because I procrastinated. In addition, I realized that I was being lazy. I learned my lesson to divide my task into smaller chunks. 

Soon, I found out that I was not the only one who got declined, but my friends and my classmates were not considered as successful applicants.

Let's forget about it. Luckily, I got selected from another IB high school.

St.Roberts IB program does not look at previous reports, written portfolio, reference letter, application form and the program that you are currently in.