Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thatonedanielle

Paper 3 help?

For my History of the Americas Paper 3, I received a topic concerning Canada and it's world relations. This will be my first IB paper and I'm just a little worried as I've always considered myself an average writer. Is it acceptable to start off my introduction with somewhat of a joke or is it frowned upon and supposed to be a serious paper from beginning to end? My teacher didn't explain much or give a rubric so I'm freaking out a bit.

History essays are supposed to be quite formal, so I'd avoid a joke. Also, keep in mind that for the real exam your essays could be marked by someone from the other side of the world so be cautious, especially with jokes, of cross-cultural misunderstandings. Sorry for ruining you fun....

Although, using interesting vocab and clever sentences (provided they don't contain slang or strange aphorisms) is a good thing to do and could possibly boost your mark if perhaps your sitting on the border of a mark boundary.

You should be able to find a rubric online or in the IB History Guide which, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think you can download on this site even if you're not VIP. In short, to get a good mark for a history essay you can't have narration, it must be just analysis and evaluation. Your essays needs a contention and you need lots of specific evidence, quotes, dates etc to support your argument. Also a little historiography also helps.

1 person likes this