Golden Ratio in Math IA - A good idea?

kismail

Hey guys,

I have a Math IA due on Sunday December 15, which is about 9 days from now. I want to do my topic on the golden ratio because firstly, I'm genuinely interested in it, and secondly, it's extremely risky to change topics at such a late stage. I know some of you will scold me for procrastinating on it but believe me I've legitimately been working on it. However, I'm having trouble finding an original idea based on the golden ratio. I did an introduction where I introduced it and such but I'm having trouble with how to proceed.

I know it's supposed to be an exploration on a real-life thing because I looked at past IAs; even my teacher said that my topic is good but I have to find a way to make it unique since it's pretty redundant. Once I knew that, I tried looking online for IAs based on the golden ratio but to no avail. So now I'm appealing to anybody for ideas because I want to involve quite a bit of maths based on the syllabus AND I'm trying to make mine stand out.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :)

You could explain the relationship between the Golden Ratio and the Fibonacci Sequence. I don't want to review stuff you already know but I also don't want to leave anything out so I will give an example :P

Let's take "0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21..." (The opening of the Fibonacci Sequence) and then use the Golden Ratio. The ratio of 2 consecutive integers is close to the Golden Ratio, and gets closer as the numbers get larger.

Fibonacci Number=1.618

3/2=1.5

5/3=1.67

8/5=1.6

13/8=1.625

21/13=1.62

It gets closer and closer... Try it!

I have seen many IAs on the golden ratio, but I think that if you were able to make it unique it would be fine! I would suggest that you take a look at the golden ratio in nature! One really interesting example is a sunflower's seed growth pattern! I think that you would be able to work with that and make it stand out! Also, try to bring in a personal element and discuss why this is important to not only you, but overall! Good luck! :)

You could explain the relationship between the Golden Ratio and the Fibonacci Sequence. I don't want to review stuff you already know but I also don't want to leave anything out so I will give an example :P

Let's take "0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21..." (The opening of the Fibonacci Sequence) and then use the Golden Ratio. The ratio of 2 consecutive integers is close to the Golden Ratio, and gets closer as the numbers get larger.

Fibonacci Number=1.618

3/2=1.5

5/3=1.67

8/5=1.6

13/8=1.625

21/13=1.62

It gets closer and closer... Try it!

I have already spoken about it on my IA though hahaha :) but thanks anyways! The issue is I need to apply it to a REAL-LIFE aspect and not just in a hypothetical manner.. :S

I have seen many IAs on the golden ratio, but I think that if you were able to make it unique it would be fine! I would suggest that you take a look at the golden ratio in nature! One really interesting example is a sunflower's seed growth pattern! I think that you would be able to work with that and make it stand out! Also, try to bring in a personal element and discuss why this is important to not only you, but overall! Good luck! :)

Thanks for the idea, I will definitely consider it! However, how do you think I can relate this to the SL Math syllabus? I already deduced an equation for the Fibonacci Sequence based on sequences and series but so far, that's the only thing I can get so far! I am sooooo stuck with this, I'd really appreciate anybody else trying to help. >_<

Here is a link to an example of an IA that is on the golden ratio directly from IB that might give you an idea of how to include some more math from the syllabus. Hope this helps! Let me know if the link doesn't work!

http://14.140.95.113/r/ib-diploma-program/pdfs/teachers%20resource%20material/Math%20HL%20&%20SL/Maths%20HL/xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/DP/Group5/d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1/html/content/exist/rest/app/tsm.xql_doc%3dd_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1_e%26part%3d2%26chapter%3d10.html

Here is a link to an example of an IA that is on the golden ratio directly from IB that might give you an idea of how to include some more math from the syllabus. Hope this helps! Let me know if the link doesn't work!

http://14.140.95.113/r/ib-diploma-program/pdfs/teachers%20resource%20material/Math%20HL%20&%20SL/Maths%20HL/xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/DP/Group5/d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1/html/content/exist/rest/app/tsm.xql_doc%3dd_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1_e%26part%3d2%26chapter%3d10.html

Thanks a lot for the sample IA, I checked it out and it looks good! However, I decided to focus more on the Fibonacci sequence as I can directly relate it to the syllabus and such. Also, I'm really worried because I know it's an exploration, not only a research so I have to largely put in my own work. Would you think that it's okay to take certain formulas from the internet and just apply them to certain real-life situations (which could also help me in terms of my personal engagement)? Thanks again. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi Cameron, could you please send the same paper again? I'm currently doing my math IA on the same topic and this seems to be helpful but I'm having issues in opening the page. It's giving errors. Thanks!

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, I want to do my IA on the Golden Ratio as well... but I was thinking about doing it in terms of the human face and beauty, because having a Golden Ratio face supposedly makes you scientifically beautiful. Should I go for this???

• 4 months later...

Hey! The Golden ratio is a great topic to do an IA on, however, the aspect you are looking at it from is fairly common which may limit your marks. Try looking at it from a different aspect or just add your own special touch to it, if you can. I'm also basing my exploration off of the golden ratio, but in a different aspect. Hope this helps!

Edited by spafolabi

• 1 year later...
On 12/7/2013 at 11:44 PM, Guest said:

Helllooo...it’s years later now and I need your favour. Can you please share me the link again? PLEASE😭....thanks a ton! 

For anyone reading int he future, from what I heard it's really overused and might affect your grade, better go with something closer to personal engagement, kind of like the EE. For me I like competitive games and decided to look into Elo.

• 2 months later...
On 4/13/2020 at 3:31 PM, Farzz said:

Helllooo...it’s years later now and I need your favour. Can you please share me the link again? PLEASE😭....thanks a ton! 

Hi, did you manage to open the link ? as even i am not able to access it 

On 4/14/2020 at 12:48 PM, lxith said:

For anyone reading int he future, from what I heard it's really overused and might affect your grade, better go with something closer to personal engagement, kind of like the EE. For me I like competitive games and decided to look into Elo.

Hi, I am not that into gaming as of now but it sounds sooo interesting and I was wondering if you could explain more about elo and what you are looking into?

On 6/30/2020 at 4:01 PM, Yashasya said:

Hi, I am not that into gaming as of now but it sounds sooo interesting and I was wondering if you could explain more about elo and what you are looking into?

Yeah, for sure. So mostly I compared two different paired comparison models, Elo and Glicko. I explained why both were created, the math behind them, problems with them, and used them on my own data to explain further. It was a really long essay, about 4,300 words, because of the amount of content I needed to include. Having a large essay could impact your grade, as my teacher explained to us, some graders unjustly give a low grade assuming the student couldn't retain focus to the aim. Overall I scored a 6 though, and honestly you just have to find something interesting to you. For me Elo and Glicko are used in a game I play competitively, and a lot of people use anecdotal evidence to show methods to increase your rank. I decided to look at the math part of it, gaming in general has a lot of math considering code, calculations, computers needed, etc. You can also browse r/math in Reddit lmao. Hope I helped <3.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yo hey guys lol, i'm late to the conversation but I need HELP

I basically chose golden ratio in art (i know very basic) but I'm seriously not the best in Math and I just chose this because why not, i didn't expect this to be so overused. My IA is due very soon and I'm basically making my own art using the golden ratio for personal engagement as well. 

this is basically my investigation:

I will pick samples of paintings, 3 paintings which do not fulfill the golden ratio and 3 paintings which use golden ratios, as well as two paintings I have made with the use of golden ratio. The data collected will be taken through a survey. I will distribute a survey (a) Female (15-20) (b) Male (15-20) about the rank of quality of the painting. I then will be using Spearman’s Rank to measure the strength and direction of the association between two sets of data when ranked by each of their quantities. My Hypothesis is that the artwork with the golden ratio has higher ranks than those without the golden ratio.

so yeah please tell me if this is weak or not

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

lmao, i am looking through the thread and ops. I am doing golden ration in film/cinema and i'm taking some examples from movies, but the only part is the maths lol. It is easy to add personal engagement and basically all theoretical stuff, but the math is were i am a little iffy on. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2018 at 12:41 AM, Sope said:

Hi guys, I want to do my IA on the Golden Ratio as well... but I was thinking about doing it in terms of the human face and beauty, because having a Golden Ratio face supposedly makes you scientifically beautiful. Should I go for this???

Hi!! That is what I am doing right now! And I am stuckkkk and in need of help. Did you manage to do it? And if you did, how did you measure it?