Acceptance Rate?

I am planning to apply to Monash University (BBus (Accounting))or RMIT (Bachelor of Accounting). For Monash the Clearly in ATAR entry requirement is 83.3 (equal to 31 IB Score), and the ATAR entry requirement at RMIT is 70 (equal to 25 IB Score). These ATAR values have been converted using this link http://www.vtac.edu.au/pdf/ib_notional_atar.pdf

So what I wanted to know was the likelihood of getting into these courses if I got the required score or above, or am I already guaranteed a spot?

Edited by Alwaysanexttime

I think there's a good chance you would get in to these courses. I asked a University of Melbourne representative what was my chances of getting into a program was (I had one point predicted more than the minimum requirements) and if I recall correctly he said I had a good chance and suggested that I apply there. I think you have a very good chance at RMIT and Monash for your degrees if you get a 32. It might depend on how competitive the program is tough.

Btw, I visited Australia once and I really liked it there. It isn't my first choice but I am applying to some Australian universities.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In australia if you get the required points for a year and have the prerequisites you get in automatically (there are some exceptions, e.g. medicine and I think music). The thing is that the requirements change year to year so a course with an IB cut off of 31 one year may be 36 the next. Because the ATAR cutoffs they show you are from last year it could change. Although if you got that score last year you would be gaurenteed to get in.

• 2 weeks later...

In australia if you get the required points for a year and have the prerequisites you get in automatically (there are some exceptions, e.g. medicine and I think music). The thing is that the requirements change year to year so a course with an IB cut off of 31 one year may be 36 the next. Because the ATAR cutoffs they show you are from last year it could change. Although if you got that score last year you would be gaurenteed to get in.

Would they really change by 5 IB points..?

No. Realistically course cut-offs are unlikely to change by more than 1 IB point.

• Like 2

No. Realistically course cut-offs are unlikely to change by more than 1 IB point.

Sorry I wasn't clear there. As jon1 said they don't vary much. It is highly unlikely, almost impossible even, that a course varies by 5 IB points. Although it is theoretically possible, 5 points is an exaggeration. New courses (1-3 years) are also more likely to have changes in ATAR, although it still wouldn't be that high. The point is that if there is a course you really want to do, but wouldn't have got last years cut off, put it as a preference, as it could drop dramatically. Equally even if you would have met last years ATAR for a course, have a back up. You have 9 choices, so for me I belive you should have an ideal/dream course and a fall back, if everything goes wrong.

• Like 2

I called a number of universities in Melbourne and they all said that the cut-offs normally only change by about 1 IB point, depending on demand. Some courses are extremely competitive and in such cases even when you meet the required marks and prerequisites it is still possible that you won't get in. You should ask if the course has a guaranteed entry pathway (when you achieve a certain IB score/ATAR, normally higher than the required marks, you get guaranteed a spot for that course).

I called a number of universities in Melbourne and they all said that the cut-offs normally only change by about 1 IB point, depending on demand. Some courses are extremely competitive and in such cases even when you meet the required marks and prerequisites it is still possible that you won't get in. You should ask if the course has a guaranteed entry pathway (when you achieve a certain IB score/ATAR, normally higher than the required marks, you get guaranteed a spot for that course).

I had a talk with one of the Higher Education people at my school, and asked them about the guaranteed commonwealth supported places. She pretty much said that it's a pretty simple process in which once you obtain the cut-off score you're pretty much guaranteed a spot.