Math HL IA - An Exploration of the Exploration

Rahul

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for catching that, ChocolateDrop! This was originally written for my classmates, as we're studying the Calculus option - I'll correct that right away. I also intend to get done the in-depth exploration of each criterion today.

Edit: Stuff came up as it has been for the past week, life hasn't been kind to me recently. I'll make time for it very soon.

Edited by Rahul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Thanks this is really helpful :)
I was wondering if the IA can be to explore some type of paradox ... or does it have to be an 'investigation' in the classical sense and lead to a definitive answer.
John

I would think an exploration, as long as it fits the criterions, should be fine!

• 9 months later...

hey guys,

I have to choose a topic for my exploration now and I am a bit confused. I wanted to do it on Newton Rhapson method because I do really like this graphical way of finding the roots of a function. Unfortunately, exploration with such topic has been already posted here: https://drive.google.com/viewerng/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=Zy5jb3BwZWxsaXNkLmNvbXxjb3BwZWxsLWliLW1hdGh8Z3g6M2QwODhlNWEwNDg3NGIwOQ  

Do you think that if I did my very own exploration on Newton method it would be considered as a plagiarism because such a work has already been done?

hey guys,

I have to choose a topic for my exploration now and I am a bit confused. I wanted to do it on Newton Rhapson method because I do really like this graphical way of finding the roots of a function. Unfortunately, exploration with such topic has been already posted here: https://drive.google.com/viewerng/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=Zy5jb3BwZWxsaXNkLmNvbXxjb3BwZWxsLWliLW1hdGh8Z3g6M2QwODhlNWEwNDg3NGIwOQ

Do you think that if I did my very own exploration on Newton method it would be considered as a plagiarism because such a work has already been done?

Plagiarism or not depends on how much influence that student's work has on your own IA. If you plan to have the same structure or even similar structure as that IA sample, then i'm afraid that could be considered as plagiarism. However, if you are sure that you can find a completely different approach towards this problem/topic, then go ahead. But make sure that you have different structure, different arguments, different derivations, different graphs, & everything else. Note that this student's work is on IB's webpage, thus it would be very easy for the IB to check your work against this particular work.

Anyhow, I would advise you to not do this topic, but not due to the reason of plagiarism. This topic has been chosen as the sample, so it's very likely that all examiners, teachers, and possibly even students have known about it and studied it by heart. Hence, the examiners/teachers would be harsher when marking your IA. It's like you would have a greater advantage compared to other students. For that reason, don't do it! Perhaps, think a bit harder to come up with a new topic?

hey guys,

Plagiarism or not depends on how much influence that student's work has on your own IA. If you plan to have the same structure or even similar structure as that IA sample, then i'm afraid that could be considered as plagiarism. However, if you are sure that you can find a completely different approach towards this problem/topic, then go ahead. But make sure that you have different structure, different arguments, different derivations, different graphs, & everything else. Note that this student's work is on IB's webpage, thus it would be very easy for the IB to check your work against this particular work.

Anyhow, I would advise you to not do this topic, but not due to the reason of plagiarism. This topic has been chosen as the sample, so it's very likely that all examiners, teachers, and possibly even students have known about it and studied it by heart. Hence, the examiners/teachers would be harsher when marking your IA. It's like you would have a greater advantage compared to other students. For that reason, don't do it! Perhaps, think a bit harder to come up with a new topic?

I guess you are right with the examiners' approach towards such a piece of work. I am thinking hard about some mathematical method used in economics. Perhaps something like Lorenz curve and Gini coefficient which are used to evaluate the inequality in an economy... Economics is my favorite IB subject and that's why I rieally wish to do something Econ-related. Maybe any one of you have some ideas/suggestions?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I found this very helpful for the exploration (I was quite confused with it haha)!

I just have one question. Do you think conic sections (specifically, ellipses) are an appropriate topic to get a level 7 in maths HL?

Thank you!

• 1 year later...
  • Rosalina locked and unlocked this topic