Interested in studying engineering? Ask questions here.

Emmi

Ok, thanks!

Another question (I need to assess all my options).

Can I go to an Aerospace bachelors engineering program, and then specialize ( in case i can't find a job or smth) in another engineering domain? Like.. bachelors in Aerospace, cause it has the basics in any engineering too, and then masters in automobiles or smth.

As long as you have prior coursework/experience that demonstrates interest/aptitude in the new field of engineering you're considering, you should be able to. If not you might need to do some coursework to catch up, as long as they were similar. You probably can't jump ship from something like aerospace to civil engineering, though. The most common example is for biomedical engineering which typically requires a master's degree to find a job. Most people who want to do biomedical stuff are actually advised to do their undergraduate program in something else such as mechanical, chemical, or electrical engineering, and then get a master's for biomdical engineering. The reason for this is because a biomedical engineering undergraduate program does not really specialize in one thing, but a graduate program expands on what the student was previously studying (i.e. designing prosthetic devices for a mechanical engineer).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just out of curiosity: Can someone who found physics boring in middle school (and hasn't taken it in high school) enjoy the classes you take when majoring in a discipline of engineering (i.e. chemical/biomedical engineering)? 

You don't have to like EVERY single class you take, but you should like the majority of them (especially those that pertain to your discipline in particular) and do well in each regardless of how much you like the class.

I hate the electricity and magnetism part of physics with a burning passion (probably a good sign that electrical engineering will never work out for me). The rest of physics ranges from love (thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics) to meh (mechanics, optics, waves, relativity). I love my math classes. I liked my general chemistry series but didn't like the organic chemistry series. I love my engineering classes for the most part.

Hello, I am a 12th grade and wonder if my subjects are good to study chemical engineering?

Primarily in Australia's top unis like University of Queensland and University of Melbourne

-HL Chemistry

-HL Business Management

-HL Mandarin

-SL Maths

-SL Physics

-SL Language and Literature

If anyone could provide information of how chemical engineering courses work, it will be great

Hey, alright so this is a bit of a late reply. I only just found this thread. I'm a 2nd year Australian doing IB and would also suggest you look into Australian National University (ANU) for engineering degrees.

They are always fighting with Melbourne Uni for #1 Uni in Australia and have a strong research focus.

Also, it isnt that hard to get in the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) as the minimum IB score for domestic applicants is 32! (sure about international...wouldnt be that different though).

I'm interested in bioengineering, biomedical engineering, biotech, biological engineering, genetic engineering, etc.

For my HL sciences I was planning to take Bio/Chem/Math. Now I'm wondering if I replace one of the former two sciences with physics? Also, to what extent is Math HL useful in the disciplines I'm interested in?

Thank you very much for this thread :D

I'm interested in bioengineering, biomedical engineering, biotech, biological engineering, genetic engineering, etc.

For my HL sciences I was planning to take Bio/Chem/Math. Now I'm wondering if I replace one of the former two sciences with physics? Also, to what extent is Math HL useful in the disciplines I'm interested in?

This kind of depends. All of the basic sciences are going to be used in bioengineering. To what extent is going to depend on what subfield you eventually get into. Some of them might use biology more, such as genetic engineering and biological engineering, and others might use physics more, such as biotech or biomedical engineering. I would research entry requirements for the universities you're interested in (if you have an idea already) and try to get a general feel of what's required for you.

HL math is essential. Mathematics is the biggest tool that an engineer will use. How else are you going to model those reaction and enzyme rates from a stack of data, or determine an optimal dosage for a patient based on biological and monetary constraints, and so forth? Do not drop HL math.

• Like 2

This kind of depends. All of the basic sciences are going to be used in bioengineering. To what extent is going to depend on what subfield you eventually get into. Some of them might use biology more, such as genetic engineering and biological engineering, and others might use physics more, such as biotech or biomedical engineering. I would research entry requirements for the universities you're interested in (if you have an idea already) and try to get a general feel of what's required for you.

HL math is essential. Mathematics is the biggest tool that an engineer will use. How else are you going to model those reaction and enzyme rates from a stack of data, or determine an optimal dosage for a patient based on biological and monetary constraints, and so forth? Do not drop HL math.

Great advice, thank you :D

• 2 weeks later...

hey, do you guys know any uni that lets someone do engineering without physics hl? i took maths hl, sciences-only bio SL, and really re-considering to do engineering instead. 

Some unis in the US will let you get in without HL physics, but you need to have either have some form of physics (regular curriculum or otherwise) or chemistry to make up for it. If you don't it will be very hard for you to get into an engineering program because no one knows if you're able to handle something heavily based on physics.The top unis for engineering will not admit you because when everyone else has physics and they're looking for ways to decide who to admit and who not to admit, they're going to pick the student who did well in physics over the person who didn't have physics at all.

You're probably out of luck at 97% of UK unis.

I don't know about anywhere else though.

hey, do you guys know any uni that lets someone do engineering without physics hl? i took maths hl, sciences-only bio SL, and really re-considering to do engineering instead. 

Some unis in the US will let you get in without HL physics, but you need to have either have some form of physics (regular curriculum or otherwise) or chemistry to make up for it. If you don't it will be very hard for you to get into an engineering program because no one knows if you're able to handle something heavily based on physics.The top unis for engineering will not admit you because when everyone else has physics and they're looking for ways to decide who to admit and who not to admit, they're going to pick the student who did well in physics over the person who didn't have physics at all.

what about aussie unis?

what about aussie unis?

I stated that I didn't know in my post, because I'm not too familiar with Australian uni stuff. Try going to different websites and see if physics is required. That'd be my advice (unless an Australian IBer comes along and clears this up).

hey,

I am planning to do chemical engineering in future. My two hls would be math and chem but i am not sure about the third one. Should i take bio hl or phy hl ? Which would be more helpful in my uni.?

Physics physics physics physics physics. You use very little biology in chemical engineering. Even if you did a focus on biochemistry or biomolecular stuff, you will use more physics than biology. The heart of chemical engineering is thermodynamics, kinetics, and transfer of matter. That doesn't sound very much like bio does it? ;)

In case that wasn't clear enough, this image will make this clearer:

roflbot-Pve1-580x332.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm thinking about going into Engineering after I complete the IBD Program in 2016. However, I don't know if my subject choices are good for that. At the moment, I've decided to take HL Chemistry, Physics, and English, and SL Math, History, and French. I was going to take HL Math, but as my school doesn't offer it anymore I have no choice. I've heard that many top universities such as Oxbridge and such require HL Math for Engineering. Is that true for all top Engineering universities, or is HL Chemistry and Physics fine?

Thanks.

Edited by Mathemagician

Hi,

I'm thinking about going into Engineering after I complete the IBD Program in 2016. However, I don't know if my subject choices are good for that. At the moment, I've decided to take HL Chemistry, Physics, and English, and SL Math, History, and French. I was going to take HL Math, but as my school doesn't offer it anymore I have no choice. I've heard that many top universities such as Oxbridge and such require HL Math for Engineering. Is that true for all top Engineering universities, or is HL Chemistry and Physics fine?

Thanks.

Oxbrige, and other unis in similar rankings, require HL math for engineering courses. The UK is pretty strict on its entrance requirements, especially at competitive unis like Oxbridge where everyone wants to get in. You can always call them up and explain your situation, and see if they will make some sort of exception since your school doesn't have this prerequisite. It's probably not all that likely that they'll make an exception, but it doesn't hurt to try.

You have a better chance of getting away with not having HL math in places like the US and in Canada.

What about top Engineering unis outside of Canada, USA, and the UK, such as ETH Zurich, and National University of Singapore? 

I have no idea. Your best bet would be to consult the almighty :google: and visit the engineering departmental websites for these unis.

Hey, I'm starting grade 11 this September, and I'm planning on studying Aerospace Engineering in university. My subjects for IB next year are going to be: 

HL Maths 

HL Computer Science 

HL Business 

SL French 

SL English 

SL Physics 

As I have a chance to change my subjects before the school year starts, I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I change my SL Physics to HL and drop HL Business to SL?

2. Do I need chemistry for Aerospace Engineering? I've taken chemistry in grades 9 and 10, and I had good grades (A+ and A) but I feel I got this grades because the course was not challenging at all, and not because I'm good. Therefore IB Chemistry is probably gonna take me a lot of time to study and do stuff to get a 5, instead of investing my time on getting a 6 or 7 in HL Math and (HL/SL) Physics. Is it worth it to take Chem in IB? 

Thank you :D

Hey, I'm starting grade 11 this September, and I'm planning on studying Aerospace Engineering in university. My subjects for IB next year are going to be: 

HL Maths 

HL Computer Science 

HL Business 

SL French 

SL English 

SL Physics 

As I have a chance to change my subjects before the school year starts, I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I change my SL Physics to HL and drop HL Business to SL?

2. Do I need chemistry for Aerospace Engineering? I've taken chemistry in grades 9 and 10, and I had good grades (A+ and A) but I feel I got this grades because the course was not challenging at all, and not because I'm good. Therefore IB Chemistry is probably gonna take me a lot of time to study and do stuff to get a 5, instead of investing my time on getting a 6 or 7 in HL Math and (HL/SL) Physics. Is it worth it to take Chem in IB? 

Thank you :D

1. Yes.

2. Some universities require chemistry for their engineering programs regardless of which branch you want to do, some require it for only specific branches, and some don't at all. Chances are you don't, as aerospace engineering doesn't go into too much chemistry. At the school I attend, aerospace engineers have to take one semester of general chemistry (similar to what IB offers, minus any organic chemistry stuff), and that's it. If you want to be sure, and you know which unis you want to apply to, you can check their entry requirements and see if chemistry is required. If it is, you'll need it, but if it's not, then you'll be fine without it.