Interested in studying engineering? Ask questions here.

Emmi

Well, I want to study engineering in the US... but I don't know which yet, is it true that I can just choose a general area and confirm during my second year or so?

Currently looking at Nano-tech, Mechanical or Environmental (if people even consider this engineering) 

Also, would prior knowledge or any proof of interest boost your chances in getting into a school you want, even if you don't have great scores? (Cause I made a robotic arm in grade 10 for my personal project and was wondering if I could add that to my essay)

ps; emmi, are you a boy or a girl? sorry but i keep getting confused

At most universities your first year of engineering regardless of the discipline is the same. You can either pick a discipline and see how you like it and then switch if you don't, or go in as "undecided" and choose at he end of your first year. At my school you can't even enter a particular engineering major until your second year anyways.

Any sort of interest can help, but I'm not sure if it's guarantee you admission. Definitely mention it, it won't hurt.

I'm not sure what could lead you to think I'm a guy, though. Last time I checked I was a girl.

Thank you for your advise...how was MATH HL in your opinion? Managable or

I didn't take this class. The people at my school found it anywhere from impossible to not bad at all.

Aftwr finishing SL math I sat the AP calculus exam to give me a better math preparation.

Thank you for your advise...:-)....do you find it difficult now as it seems like you didnt take any physics

I didn't take any physics, you're correct. While I didn't breeze through the intro physics classes because of that, I'm doing just fine. My grades are good.

Thank you for your great responses...I have 1 more.....I am still doing design technology as I am in MYP5, I get 6s in this subject...Would it be goodbto begin giving a bit more effort in it so I could take ITGS sl in ib....Is ITGS sl valued in an engineering course or should I just stick with Econ sl for Dp?

Thank you for your great responses...I have 1 more.....I am still doing design technology as I am in MYP5, I get 6s in this subject...Would it be goodbto begin giving a bit more effort in it so I could take ITGS sl in ib....Is ITGS sl valued in an engineering course or should I just stick with Econ sl for Dp?

It doesn't matter. Econ looks more academic, but most places won't care what your group 3 subject was.

Hello..

thank you for making this thread...

I am in ibdp1 now.. and I want to keep my options open for biomedical r agricultural engineering. Is biology necessay to take? I have taken chemistry, math and physics hl right now, but I am really confused whether i should take biology. P.s.. I don't like physics that much though its too early to decide(A month)is it, by the way?

Is it possible to take civil engineering or mechanical without taking physics in the US if i take biology .. or taking biomedical, agricultural engineering without taking biology and instead just have physics and chemistry?

Thanks..I am reaĺly confused as to which option is more flexible to take both kinds of engineering, physics or biology. Are AP exams helpful if I do bio ap alongside physics hl to keep maximum options open?

Thanks again.

Edited by yashvini

Hello..

thank you for making this thread...

I am in ibdp1 now.. and I wan to keep my oproptions open for biomedicle or agricultural engineerin. Is biology necessaynecessary to take? I have taken chemistry math and physics hl right now, but I am really confused whether j should take bilbiology. P.s.. I don't like physics that much thought its too early to decide(A month) iyis it possible to take civil engineering or mechanical without taking physics in the US .. or taking biomedicle science or a similar thing without taking biologY And instead just having physics and chemistry?

Thanks..I am reaĺy confused as to which option is more flexible to take both kinds of engineering, physics or biology. Are AP exams helpful I do bio ap alongside physics hl To keep maximum options open?

Thanks again.

Biology would be helpful, but having HL math and physics is more important. Chemistry can be important as well. You can get into biomedical or agricultural engineering without bio though.

I have answered this question like twenty times today, but YOU. NEED. PHYSICS. FOR. ENGINEERING. PREFERABLY. AT. HL. ESPECIALLY. FOR. DISCIPLINES. LIKE. CIVIL. AND. MECHANICAL. ENGINEERING.

If you're doing the IB already, having AP in addition is usually overkill and not needed. If you were to take any AP courses, I would suggest biology if you aren't going to take it as part of your diploma. It will require a good amount of time to study for because there is a lot of content, however.

Your diploma should be HL math and HL physics, either chemistry or biology at HL, and whatever you want for your SL subjects. You can take whichever science you don't take for your diploma as an AP course if you desire.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I just started IB 4 days ago, and my courses are:

English A LAL SL

Business SL

Economics SL

Math HL

Physics HL

French B HL

I am interested in studying Engineering in the U.S. but I haven't decided which university yet, but I am aiming high (Not MIT, but not very low universities). I hesitated on whether or not I should take chemistry SL instead of business, but I thought it's not important since I want to major in Mech/Aero or something close to them. Additionally, I thought I could achieve an easier 6 or 7 in business rather than chemistry, and with less work. I chose my courses in a way to keep much time for studying math and physics.

About Uni, I was conaidering Texas A&M, because I have family living in texas, and Cal poly. I am going to look for more universities. I don't know if the universities I mentioned are good enough or I should aim higher, but I heard they have very good reputation.

My questions are:

1. Is the way I am thinking correct (about chem and business) ?

2. What do you think would be a smart major and uni choice ?

(I am thinking Mechanical because the Aerospace field doesn't hire much, and I am also considering Mechatronics).

Thank you !

I would suggest you to switch Business SL to Chemistry SL as some universities require it for mechanical engineering (along with Math HL and Physics HL). Also, some universities require taking double natural sciences for engineering and picking business along with economics seems to be unnecessary. Chemistry SL isn't that hard - when compared to Math HL and Physics HL that is.

Btw, your subject choices are pretty similar to mine, haha. Good luck IB1'er. :)

• Like 2

I would suggest you to switch Business SL to Chemistry SL as some universities require it for mechanical engineering (along with Math HL and Physics HL). Also, some universities require taking double natural sciences for engineering and picking business along with economics seems to be unnecessary. Chemistry SL isn't that hard - when compared to Math HL and Physics HL that is. Btw, your subject choices are pretty similar to mine, haha. Good luck IB1'er. :)

Thank you for the response.

As an IB2'er, what do you think about chemistry ? Is it not hard to study and get good score in? If I take chem, I am going to drop business.

The last thing I want to happen is not getting into engineering in a good uni because I didn't take chemistry, so I'd rather not take the risk to be honest :D.

I would suggest you to switch Business SL to Chemistry SL as some universities require it for mechanical engineering (along with Math HL and Physics HL). Also, some universities require taking double natural sciences for engineering and picking business along with economics seems to be unnecessary. Chemistry SL isn't that hard - when compared to Math HL and Physics HL that is. Btw, your subject choices are pretty similar to mine, haha. Good luck IB1'er. :)

Thank you for the response.

As an IB2'er, what do you think about chemistry ? Is it not hard to study and get good score in? If I take chem, I am going to drop business.

The last thing I want to happen is not getting into engineering in a good uni because I didn't take chemistry, so I'd rather not take the risk to be honest :D.

SL chemistry is a joke. Honestly. All of the "difficult" or "tricky" portions of chemistry are reserved for HL students. If you have any aptitude at all for science then you'll be fine.

A&M is a fantastic university for engineering. Cal Poly is as well. I made a post a little while back discussing what is in my opinion the "best" universities to attend for engineering (it's not a complete list though), go ahead and search for it.

Mechanical engineering is a safe bet as mechanical engineers can work in a huge number of fields and can usually perform the same jobs as aerospace engineers, but aerospace engineers sometimes can't perform the same jobs as mechanical engineers. That said, if your goal is to work in aerospace, either major in aerospace engineering, or study mechanical engineering and take aerospace courses on the side.

• 1 month later...

I'm taking:

HL Physics, HL English A, HL Norwegian B

SL Economics, SL Maths, SL ESS

I'm not sure which engineering I should apply for. I had computer/mechanical/aerospace engineering in mind. What is your opinion on this? Can I apply with Maths SL?

We can't answer this question without more information from you. Where are you thinking of applying? What do you want to do engineering-wise? What do you like?

And why are you not in HL math if you want to do engineering? :S

The teacher for Maths HL is not very helpful and likes sometimes to explain stuff in Norwegian which I'm not good at. I thought it would be safe to just take Maths SL instead. I'm looking to study in Germany or England.

If I'm not mistaken, HL math is a requirement almost everywhere in Germany and England for engineering, so you won't be admitted to the overwhelming majority of universities there with your current subject combination. They make exceptions for special cases, such as if you would have taken HL math but your school doesn't offer it, but your situation doesn't cut it.

If you want to study in England or Germany, switch now. Otherwise you'll be out of luck and have to apply elsewhere.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, So I am a sophomore and will be doing IB after nxt semester. Coming into the year I had engineering in mind but was still stuck on the 5 I got the year before in physics. I am happy to have improved this year and I am along the lines of a 7 in my sem 1 report. I find myp math quite easy and chem even easier.

Do you think these subjects will do in order to get into chemical engineering.I am also looking to go study in the US.

Kiswahili B hl

Math hl

Chem hl

Phy sl after this year’s improvement I think I should take physics over bio

Eng A sl

Econ sl

I thought to have kiswahili B hl as a comfort zone as It is my mother tongue so it will.probly be a straight 7, and this would also help me focus on my other higher levels which are according to people quite diffficult. I couldnt take it as an A language as I have been doing french for the past 2 years so I would have a bit to catch up to be in par with the Kisw A students. I hope you understand why I would have such a futile subject a higher. Will these choices do for chem engineering?

Hi, So I am a sophomore and will be doing IB after nxt semester. Coming into the year I had engineering in mind but was still stuck on the 5 I got the year before in physics. I am happy to have improved this year and I am along the lines of a 7 in my sem 1 report. I find myp math quite easy and chem even easier.

Do you think these subjects will do in order to get into chemical engineering.I am also looking to go study in the US.

Kiswahili B hl

Math hl

Chem hl

Phy sl after this year’s improvement I think I should take physics over bio

Eng A sl

Econ sl

I thought to have kiswahili B hl as a comfort zone as It is my mother tongue so it will.probly be a straight 7, and this would also help me focus on my other higher levels which are according to people quite diffficult. I couldnt take it as an A language as I have been doing french for the past 2 years so I would have a bit to catch up to be in par with the Kisw A students. I hope you understand why I would have such a futile subject a higher. Will these choices do for chem engineering?

You need HL physics. I don't care if you think it's hard, these are the subjects you need to prepare for chemical engineering. Chemical engineering programs will have you surpass all of the material in these courses within the first SEMESTER. I don't care if you want a free 7, you need HL physics.

God do I need to put this in huge red letters, I've answered this like 80 times do people even read. (I'm not attacking you, but this has been discussed before and I'm not sure why you'd avoid a required subject because you want an easy subject).

• Like 1