Which level should I choose?

Sarah Manon

Hey guys!

I'm kinda in doubt of whether I should take SL or Studies... I am going for studying languages or law at university, but I'm just not sure if I should have SL as a backup... I just wanted to hear what people think of SL and studies, it'd be major help as I'll be having to choose my subjects in February! :(

I am currently in Pre-IB :)

Thanks in advance!

If you are considering studying in one of the best universities then taking SL would benefit you cause they will see you as a challenging person. I don't think that studies or SL would benefit you in your career though. If you are good in maths and like doing maths then SL would be the best option. If you don't then studies is the way to go. SL would be a good backup.

Have a happy New Year!

It depends on if you want to continue studying after IB: the level you want to study at and the country you want to go to. Some institutions just look at your HLs and relevant subjects. Others will ask you for the hardest work load etc. Just do research on your specific institution requirements. My personal advice would be don't make your IB life harder than it needs to be.

That really depends on in which country you want to study. if you want to study in Denmark (like me) then I advise you to choose studies because math SL is not required for law or languages. Moreover, you risk that you will score worse in general with math SL and won't get any bonus for it. However, if you want to study in UK or US and you feel that you could score at least a five, then it may be beneficial (more for colleges in US because you might get a credit, though).

Also, I want to study Danish or Literature at the University of Copenhagen and although I really like math, I finally decided to choose studies. That's because:

1. Math SL is not a requirement for these degrees.

2. I may loose some points and not meet the offer.

3. The entry requirements vary a lot so even if I'm quite sure that I could get 32 points with Math SL (what was the entry requirement in 2013) I don't know if it won't suddenly jump and I won't get in just because I took a higher level of math. (That was my last argument.)

So if you want to study in Denmark take into consideration. However, if you want to study in UK or US that it might be better to choose SL but only if you are confident with your math skills. How are you performing in math at the moment?

Edited by Sceptyczka