I haven't done this yet, but just some general help might be useful..?

Start by picking out the parts of the novel that link really directly and clearly to lack of self-control (your topic)

Once, you've done this start looking more closely at what this is telling us, what the author is trying to say, why it is important and what it adds to the novels.

This really should build the grounds to a steady presentation. Obviously, you have to build on this, these are just starting tips.

Good luck

• Like 1

I just did my IOP in December. It actually wasn't that bad! However, I did go about a minute over the time limit, so......

I have read Things Fall Apart and I think the topic of a lack of self-control is probably very very relevant to the book. Just go through major events in the book and think about how they might relate to self-control. Why did the author put them there? How did it affect others in the book? Can this be related to today's world and how maybe we should act? The author is just trying to say something; you just have to translate it.

Literally for my presentation and others in my class, you just have to jump right in. There isn't time to waste when trying to glide smoothly into the topic. What we did: introduce our book, the thesis (what you are trying to prove), and then maybe a starting point or a brief background to what's happening in the story (be careful though! We don't want a plot summary! :eek: ), and then how certain events relate to the thesis, and then a conclusion from there. You have 15 minutes tops, so you have to make the most of it. Also, if you have trouble with time, my teacher would wave her wrists wildly when we had 2 minutes left, so that way we could wrap it up; this means that if you have to, suggest it to our teacher to do this...

• Like 4