Continuing IB in new school

hellorainchan

Hi guys happy new year! I'm quite enjoying my first year of IB but the problem is my parents are going to move to another country in next school year (during my last year of IB which is sad). Well I don't know how this IB transferring system works but my only concern is about my IB courses. I haven't picked the school yet but my parents already have a list of international schools. From what I see based on my research, some courses that I take in my current school doesn't offered in the new school. For example I'm taking Econ HL and most of the school from the list doesn't have it or only offer in SL. My IB coordinator suggest to change subject from Econ to self-taught language because that is the only subject that I can change in the middle of IB. She also told me that if I change Econ HL -> Thai Self taught SL but learn HL materials from a tutor in this semester then I can be able to take Thai A HL in the new school. I think this option seems iffy because I don't know where to find a tutor D: What if I continuing taking Econ and the school that I go doesn't offer Econ? then do I have to pick a new subject or just continuing ib with only 5 subjects? I don't know... conflicts. Anyway, does anyone here have same problem like me or does anyone here transfer to a new school in a middle of IB before? Actually I don't want to give up IB even though I can't use IB score in my dream university but if this is the worst case then I guess I might go to American curriculum international school. D: Thank you!

I went through the exact same problem last year.

I had History SL and had to switch to Business and Management HL.

As long as I know, IB Schools do not accept new students in IB2 since it's too much of a risk and students usually fail. The only reason why my school here accepted me as a 'transfer' IB Student it was because I moved before the school year (IB1) was over. So yeah, I had to give finals for an entirely new subject which was Business and Management HL.

I also had to switch from Spanish Language and Literature HL to Spanish Literature SL (self-taught) which was an awful and dreadful thing. I personally do not encourage self-taught anything if you can take any other course with a teacher.

I'd suggest you to first contact the schools to make sure they will accept you. One of my classmates when I moved here was moving to Canada for IB2 and she's now enrolled in the Canadian Diploma since the schools didn't accept her.

If they will accept you as a transfer student I strongly encourage you to take any other subjects available with teachers. Specially since you mentioned that the IB Grades won't really affect the university you're planning to apply to, then taking a new subject offered at your new school would be a better idea.

Just personal thoughts

Good luck xx

I went through the exact same problem last year.

I had History SL and had to switch to Business and Management HL.

As long as I know, IB Schools do not accept new students in IB2 since it's too much of a risk and students usually fail. The only reason why my school here accepted me as a 'transfer' IB Student it was because I moved before the school year (IB1) was over. So yeah, I had to give finals for an entirely new subject which was Business and Management HL.

I also had to switch from Spanish Language and Literature HL to Spanish Literature SL (self-taught) which was an awful and dreadful thing. I personally do not encourage self-taught anything if you can take any other course with a teacher.

I'd suggest you to first contact the schools to make sure they will accept you. One of my classmates when I moved here was moving to Canada for IB2 and she's now enrolled in the Canadian Diploma since the schools didn't accept her.

If they will accept you as a transfer student I strongly encourage you to take any other subjects available with teachers. Specially since you mentioned that the IB Grades won't really affect the university you're planning to apply to, then taking a new subject offered at your new school would be a better idea.

Just personal thoughts

Good luck xx

I'm afraid that the school wont accept me but on the other hand it sounds very risky to take new subject since ib is a two year course. I'll consider about it! Btw, I'm thinking of doing self-taught language here and take language A course with a teacher in a new school not changing from lang A to self-taught. Thanks for your advice (:

I think economics is very self-taught-able, if you put in the effort. And AP, it's not bad, do consider it. Good luck x)

To be honest, I'm very very bad at econ :( but if my new school doesn't offer econ then how can I turn in my IA?

• 3 weeks later...