EE animal experimental policy for Biology

Marissa Dinar

Hey guys, I'm planning my EE in Biology which revolves around chickens and rice. The thing is, my research requires me to slaughter chickens after a 3 month period in order to analyze some samples (fat and muscle composition etc). I've read the IB animal ethics guidelines but it just states to not cause harm or stress on purpose to the animals during the experiment, like test drugs or feed the animals diet that deteriorates their health etc. Do you think I could be able to proceed with the slaughter?

Edited by Sandwich
Please don't put your title in all caps.
  • Like 1

I'm looking to do an EE in biology too....I'm facing the same problem...but i don't think you should continue, as it is ethically wrong and the IB probably won't reward you marks for not adhering to the rules. If you can manage to get samples of fat and muscle from elsewhere then go ahead, otherwise, don't.

• Like 1

I think that killing them is probably = maximal harm to the animals, even if you somehow do it in a stress-free way! So a definite no-go.

Can you find a topic relating to something a bit less dramatic like their food choice behaviour??

Or I'm not sure how feasible this would be but you can definitely get scales which can measure your fat % just by putting your feet on some electrodes. I don't know how well that would translate to chickens instead of people but if you can find something nice and death-to-chickens free, that might also be an idea!