identifying intermolecular forces by using temperature probe

Suu

Hello, I need you guys' help ;(

CH2CH2OH

CH3OH

CH3CH2CH2OH

CH3CH2CH2CH3

H2O

I have to identify intermolecular forces of above 5 molecules. I obtained an electronic device which is called LabQuest and temperature probe. How can I identify intermolecular forces by using temperature probe?

Oh, in addition, my teacher didn't recommend me to boil solutions of those 5 molecules.

the substances you are using will evaporate so quickly you won't have the chance to heat them up and the alcohols are flammable so it will be dangerous. why are you doing this anyway? the only intermolecular forces that we need to know are van der waals, dipole-dipole & H bonding.

CH2CH2OH - VDW and H bonding

CH3OH - VDW and H bonding

CH3CH2CH2OH - VDW and H bonding

CH3CH2CH2CH3 - VDW only

H2O - VDW and H bonding

I hope this helps :)

• Like 1

Oh, I'm studying about the intermolecular force these days, and I should design this lab to identify intermolecular forces. Only purpose was given.

Purpose: to identify the intermolecular forces.

How can I identify by using temperature probe?

I think you would just heat up the different chemicals and with your temperature probe and a stop watch you find out which chemical heats up the fastest? This would be looking at the volatility of the chemicals and the slower the increase in temperature indicates that it has stronger intermolecular forces.

btw i think the order of volatility would be

CH3CH2CH2CH3 > CH3OH > CH2CH2OH > CH3CH2CH2OH > H2O

Oh? that sounds great, but heating up is not recommended. Even though I heat up those 5 solutions, it is so dangerous because the alcohol is flammable.

I have a better idea. What about using the evaporation? Putting the temperature probe into a chemical solution, then evaporation occurs when the probe is removed from the chemical.