Hi Everyone

This is my first post here on this website so I'd appreciate some help :).

I commenced my IB journey in September 2013 and I had picked 4 HLs to begin with: Math , Economics , Biology and Business Studies.

I did so because our teachers in school keep reiterating the point that Math HL is not easy and one could fail his or her diploma if they decide to take it (Due to the intricate nature of the subject itself.)

However my Business Studies teacher is horrible. He literally doesn't teach us, just giving us handouts and telling us about his previous careers in various organisations(Maybe cause he is a Phd holder.)

So i decided to pull up English Language and Literature to HL. That gives me 5 HL's

I know its near impossible to cope up with 5HLs along with CAS ,TOK and EE. But I was hoping for some advice on which HL to drop.

Personally, I want to a Mathematics based course probably Mathematical with Economics or Econometrics. Looking at studying primarily in the UK (Warwick first choice) although USA and Canada are also options.

P.S if I drop to SL Business I will still have the same teacher

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thank you guys :)

What i would do is drop Biology HL.

Since you are aiming to study something non-science related and focusing on Economics, you will have to take Both Mathematics and Economics at HL

Business studies can help, but is not essential.

And from what i have heard, universities do like seeing a Language at Higher level when studying economics, which could be a plus to your academic record.

Hope this helps!

Just drop Biology HL it's a burden and the most challenging one (even through it's a lot more enjoyable than other lessons...especially Economics).Even I dropped it and sacrificed my chance of applying to some of the Med unis.

And why insisting on 4 HL's? I'd suggest you to take Maths + Economics + the easiest subject for you to cope with as your HL's.

And why insisting on 4 HL's? I'd suggest you to take Maths + Economics + the easiest subject for you to cope with as your HL's.

In our school they don't let us take Math HL without having a back-up HL so I had to pick 4.

And isn't there an advantage to taking 4 HL especially if one plans on applying to competitive courses?.

Thanks to both the responses , really appreciate the feed back :)

You cannot take 5 HL subjects unless you do the fifth HL as your 7th subject and get a certificate for one HL. If you have a horrible teacher in Business I would drop down to SL even though its the same teacher. I would do this because Business is considered a soft subject by many universities (so its better to have it at SL than HL if you need to have it at all) and because you dont want to be doing a HL subject where the teacher is generally really really bad.

Then after dropping Business I would keep the 4 HL's that are left, so that if you get really overwhelmed by Math HL you can drop down to SL in your second year or whenever.

• Like 1