AP Calculus BC

joeking

I don't take it but I know many people who have and they all sad it's much easier than HL maths.

PS stay in computer science it's way too late to change to chemistry, unless you've taken it before and have a good level.

AP calculus BC is only calculus, therefore normal to have less content than HL math, and people (usually) take the same amount of time (or one year less) to do it, so it's definitely easier in that aspect.

But it has more content than the calculus topic in HL math core.

It's content is approximately equal to that of the calculus option (Infinite sequences and series, Taylor series, etc) but covers less than calculus option in some areas (no linear differential equations & other things).

However it also covers polar/parametric coordinates that is not in the calculus option.

So in terms of content and time, I'd say AP calculus BC is easier.

But in other aspects they are rather incomparable, as I said, AP calculus BC is only calculus.

• Like 2

I don't take it but I know many people who have and they all sad it's much easier than HL maths.

PS stay in computer science it's way too late to change to chemistry, unless you've taken it before and have a good level.

AP calculus BC is only calculus, therefore normal to have less content than HL math, and people (usually) take the same amount of time (or one year less) to do it, so it's definitely easier in that aspect.

But it has more content than the calculus topic in HL math core.

It's content is approximately equal to that of the calculus option (Infinite sequences and series, Taylor series, etc) but covers less than calculus option in some areas (no linear differential equations & other things).

However it also covers polar/parametric coordinates that is not in the calculus option.

So in terms of content and time, I'd say AP calculus BC is easier.

But in other aspects they are rather incomparable, as I said, AP calculus BC is only calculus.

I think ssy hit it right on the head - Math HL has more content and is broader, but BC calculus has more calculus content than Math HL.

I'm doing Math HL anyway. But, has anyone done the AP? I'm going to start consistent studying in about two weeks ...

There are two AP Calculus exams, AB and BC. Which one were you considering taking?

The HL math kids spend the first year of HL preparing for the AP calculus AB exam (with one or two each year self-studying some extra material and taking BC instead) at my school and they typically do well. IB doesn't cover everything that the AP exam does (you'll need to learn some additional content, especially if your HL class hasn't started certain topics yet) but a few months is a decent amount of time to prepare. Also like IB, doing past AP exams is a good study tool. You can find these going back many years.

AP Calculus AB is HL math calculus topic+a little bit of differential equations+some additional formulas
AP Calculus BC is HL math calculus topic+HL math calculus option-most of differential equations+polar and parametric coordinates+vector functions+some additional formulas

I think that's all. Not sure about what AB doesn't cover but HL covers though, as I don't really remember both of the syllabi, but I don't think stuff like integration by parts is in there.

I'm doing Math HL anyway. But, has anyone done the AP? I'm going to start consistent studying in about two weeks ...

There are two AP Calculus exams, AB and BC. Which one were you considering taking?

The HL math kids spend the first year of HL preparing for the AP calculus AB exam (with one or two each year self-studying some extra material and taking BC instead) at my school and they typically do well. IB doesn't cover everything that the AP exam does (you'll need to learn some additional content, especially if your HL class hasn't started certain topics yet) but a few months is a decent amount of time to prepare. Also like IB, doing past AP exams is a good study tool. You can find these going back many years.

I'm going to do Calculus BC. Haven't started studying properly though. I'll be starting this week-end.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're already doing IB Math HL and one of your options is the calculus ( or series and differentials, whatever you call it) part, then it makes no sense to do the AP calculus BC test. Everything that is part of the Calc BC test is already covered in the IB math HL + options class :P

You can see the Calc BC syllabus here: https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse/ap-calculus-bc/course-details

If you're already doing IB Math HL and one of your options is the calculus ( or series and differentials, whatever you call it) part, then it makes no sense to do the AP calculus BC test. Everything that is part of the Calc BC test is already covered in the IB math HL + options class :P

You can see the Calc BC syllabus here: https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse/ap-calculus-bc/course-details

It's not. See my post in #7 for details.