Theory of Knowledge Class Summary - Help Needed

ptweezy

Hello IBSurvival. I am a new member and I stumbled upon this website looking for help with my Theory of Knowledge essay that is due...TOMORROW! I have just started to look at what is required of me, and I have realized that our teacher has absolutely failed in teaching us anything having to do with TOK. She says this essay is a piece of cake, but to me, writing this essay is like pulling teeth. Is there any way someone could basically sum up the class for me, all while providing useful information about this essay? All we have ever learned is the idea of empiricism and rationalism, and I couldn't even tell you all the Ways of Knowing, nor could I tell you what a knowledge issue is. I am lost.

Which question are you choosing?

Anyway the essence of TOK is just how do you know what you know, and explore the concept of knowledge, that is justified true belief.

In your essay, you are going to make claims. The AOK (natural science, human science, arts, math, history, ethics) will be the context by which you decide what you want to claim.

So how do you know what you claim? This is where WOK (emotion, language, sense and perception, reason) comes in, which serves as the justified part of the definition of knowledge. Is there anything questionable with how you know what you know? That is are your WOK completely reliable? Any reason to not trust them? This then serves as your counterclaim. Does your WOK necessarily lead to truth? You can use the correspondence theory of truth and 2 others which I can't remember. So after you have justified, truth and belief, you can conclude that you have knowledge. Usually it's difficult to know the absolute truth of the matter, so it's fine to say you have limited knowledge.