Article for Economics commentary -- Microeconomics Market Failure

Hi! I'm starting the first commentary for my Economics portfolio and want to focus on the topic of market failure. I have a few articles but am unsure which one is the best to do a commentary on? Apparently it is better that it doesn't mention any economic policies or methods to improve situations at all??

(My Economics teacher briefly looked at the articles which I showed him, but was not of much help!)

- First article on obesity in young children: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/30/science/obesity-takes-hold-early-in-life-study-finds.html?_r=0

- Second article on increasing the smoking tax: http://news.sky.com/story/1189244/tobacco-tax-hike-would-save-200m-lives

- Third article on minimum pricing of alcohol: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/feb/10/minimum-alcohol-pricing-save-860-lives-study

I am grateful for any help, advice or tips given!

I think the first article is not an economics article at all? The second and third ones are OK, but are too long and relevant parts to the commentary need to be highlighted. It is not necessary to find an economic article that doesn't suggest any solution to improve the situation. If the author mentions one strategy at the end, you could challenge it or evaluate it, which would score you more points. However I think your teacher is referring to the fact that the article cannot be too economic - otherwise it would be hard to comment on in such few words. If you write your commentary and your teacher finds it bad - don't worry ! You can still write how many commentaries you like, and the word limit is short so you'll find it easy to write another one. Everyone's first commentary is awful, and I would suggest practicing it, so an additional work would probably beneficial. Good luck ! Hope I helped.

Thank you both for the helpful advice,

I have emailed my Economics teacher about this, and he suggested this article to me: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/healthyeating/10616533/Junk-food-we-need-to-tackle-Britains-obesity-crisis.html

Any thoughts? :hmmm:

the way i picture it, a commentary on this would lead to the macroeconomic aspect. not entirely, but at some point i think it would. here's what i make of it: junk food is a demerit good, it needs to be taxed because the government has had to increase expenditure on obesity-related diseases (govt expenditure-macroecon). but yeah, taxing would discourage consumption because of high prices and supply decreases and all that microeconomic analysis.. maybe even market failure, if you think from another perspective, where an unhealthy labor force means lower concentrated contribution to the economy. but again, it goes on to macroeconomics. this is what i think as of now, but that's probably because i quickly read through the article.

in conclusion, it depends on what aspect you cover and how you analyse, if you avoid taking it in the macroeconomic aspect only then could you come up with a good commentary. I'm not sure if others would agree with me or not :S but that's what i make of it.

The first one doesn't look related to economics after all. Avoid articles that could lead up to macro and as people have stated above, an article about demerit goods will be convenient as you can talk about market failure, negative externalities, goverment policies etc at the same time