IB Subject Choices

pieispi

Alright guys, it's finally my time to choose my IB subjects...

So now I'm thinking:

HL: Math, Physics, Economics

SL: L&L, Spanish Ab, History

I don't have much to ask. Just can you guys give me some general thoughts on my choices?

(History is my biggest point of confusion as the other five were almost definite since the beginning, but I was stuck with what to do as my sixth subject and two sciences seems not to be a wise choice and psychology is probably not my thing)

Also is HL Physics really THAT hard? I wanted to do it but all I hear about it is negative, anyone?

You're subject combination looks really good and since yale is your goal you made the right choice for math and physics. However it really depends on what you want to study later on. For example if you wanted to go to yale engineering which is one of the most competitive universities I would suggest you took chemistry HL and eco SL with no history. Also there's a lot of essay writing in eco+history+english and since you seem more of a scientist you should consider that as well. It really depends on what you want to study later on, if you expand on that I can give you better advice.

You're subject combination looks really good and since yale is your goal you made the right choice for math and physics. However it really depends on what you want to study later on. For example if you wanted to go to yale engineering which is one of the most competitive universities I would suggest you took chemistry HL and eco SL with no history. Also there's a lot of essay writing in eco+history+english and since you seem more of a scientist you should consider that as well. It really depends on what you want to study later on, if you expand on that I can give you better advice.

Thanks for the quick reply (Y)

Yeah, I am thinking more towards engineering although I do want to maybe to a finance related major (plus I'm just really interested in econ)

So maybe I shouldn't do history. What do you recommend instead then, what else could I do?

Yes history doesn't really have any purpose so don't take it. For engineering the best would be taking HL chemistry and SL eco but obviously for finance eco HL makes much more sense. If you feel brave enough you can start with 4 HL and then drop one when you make a final decision. Or you can just take HL eco and SL chemistry which is also good for engineering. Physics and math are the most important subjects for engineering, the reason why I said chemistry HL is because yale is an extremely competitive school and many applicants will had done chemistry and just in general you want to stand out as much as possible.

• Like 1

Sorry I forgot to say that taking subjects you enjoy at HL is always a good idea and will always affect you positively both academically and personally (it can get tough sometimes with all the work load). But subjects like engineering, medicine and law are SUPER competitive especially in Ivy league universities. My advice is to give yourself a little more time and find out what you want. Personally I took four HL because I liked all four subjects and like you I will apply to very competitive universities. I don't regret my decision but if I want I can always drop one at the end of IB1.

Hope I helped

Good luck!

PS. economics is not a hard subject and there isn't much difference between SL and HL (just two chapters and some REALLY easy math)

• Like 1

Agreeing with above. There is quite a bit of content for history and if you're not interested it does get a bit dull, maybe that's why our history class is so small... only 4 of us. ((if 1 person is absent, there is a 25% absent rate! 0 0)

Anyways, go with what you like/ enjoy but also keep in mind what your possible major would require you to take. As of now, you're doing perfectly fine.

((A little stereotyping here but I am in the impression that Koreans are super smart and self-motivated. There's no reason you can't cope with physics, if you love it, that is, don't mind other people's comments.

I am doing practically the same subjects, just chem SL instead of history and Hindi B instead of spanish... physics HL isn't that hard... as long as you are fairly good at the SL stuff to begin with and spend time practicing.

Instead I find Maths HL the bigger issue... maths SL is much easier and slower paced but yes the issue with dropping is not being eligible for engineering which is why im still in HL Math!

I am doing practically the same subjects, just chem SL instead of history and Hindi B instead of spanish... physics HL isn't that hard... as long as you are fairly good at the SL stuff to begin with and spend time practicing.

Instead I find Maths HL the bigger issue... maths SL is much easier and slower paced but yes the issue with dropping is not being eligible for engineering which is why im still in HL Math!

So you're doing history, right? How is it, both in workload and difficulty / depth?

I would like to point out that unless a specific university requests it, HL chemistry is not required for all forms of engineering.

Required: Chemical, Biomedical/Biological, Materials Science

Maybe, but likely not required: Aerospace/Mechanical, Civil

Not required: Electrical, Industrial Systems, Computer Science

If you are talented in chemistry feel free to take it, but in some cases it's not required and don't feel compelled to take it if it isn't.

I would like to point out that unless a specific university requests it, HL chemistry is not required for all forms of engineering.

If you are talented in chemistry feel free to take it, but in some cases it's not required and don't feel compelled to take it if it isn't.

Does your statement concern American Unis? Cause they don't have specific requirements to get into courses, right?

Does your statement concern American Unis? Cause they don't have specific requirements to get into courses, right?

Any university really. In the US, typically to be admitted to a uni's engineering school requires that you have taken at bare minimum high school math, physics, chemistry, and English. There aren't any IB requirements for these, so you don't really need to have taken them at HL or SL. THAT BEING SAID, it is highly recommended that you have HL math and physics (or their equivalents), and perhaps SL chemistry unless you're applying to something chemistry-based in which you need HL. Is there any particular uni you were looking at or a specific branch of engineering in particular? That might change the answer a bit.

So you're doing history, right? How is it, both in workload and difficulty / depth?

No, I

No, I meant that I have chosen Chem instead of history.

I am doing 2 sciences instead of 2 humanities...

sorry...

Any university really. In the US, typically to be admitted to a uni's engineering school requires that you have taken at bare minimum high school math, physics, chemistry, and English. There aren't any IB requirements for these, so you don't really need to have taken them at HL or SL. THAT BEING SAID, it is highly recommended that you have HL math and physics (or their equivalents), and perhaps SL chemistry unless you're applying to something chemistry-based in which you need HL. Is there any particular uni you were looking at or a specific branch of engineering in particular? That might change the answer a bit.

Yeah, I am currently really interested in aerospace engineering or something of that sort. Regarding unis, I did write that my dream was Yale only now to realise that I've never even heard of Yale Engineering (although I'm sure they have a program) and realistically, I'm looking at the likes of Georgia Tech.

Yeah, I am currently really interested in aerospace engineering or something of that sort. Regarding unis, I did write that my dream was Yale only now to realise that I've never even heard of Yale Engineering (although I'm sure they have a program) and realistically, I'm looking at the likes of Georgia Tech.

I did a quick search, and Yale does not offer an aerospace engineering degree. They do offer a mechanical engineering degree, which is similar to aerospace in principle (schools often combine these departments), but they are somewhat different.

In addition, Yale doesn't have that strong of an engineering program. It is ranked, and isn't bad, but Georgia Tech's engineering program is one of the best in the United States. Heck the state school I go to is ranked many spaces higher than Yale's engineering program.

If you were serious about engineering and had the grades for it, I would consider Georgia Tech over Yale any day of the week. Georgia Tech is a very good school and difficult to get into, so don't feel bad about having to apply there at all.

• Like 1