French SL help

Bonjour tout le monde,

I am in my first year of IB, seventh week to be exact and I am struggling in French SL. I have done French for a few years and did really well but I am now struggling because of the massive jump in level. I was hoping that if anyone had any good tips for studying French, good vocab, sites to go on or even offer to be a french buddy ( send French emails to eachother once a week, if would be good if you were fluent in french or very good at it) they would comment bellow. Any help would be highly helpful as I am determined to gain a 6 in French.

Je vous adresse mon très amical souvenir

Zoe Faith

Bonjour!
Je peux vous aider mais je crois que mon niveau de francais parlé n'est pas bien.

^ I probably messed that sentence up ;;.

But if you need a buddy, I'm definitely willing to help, I'm struggling with French myself and I'd love to help and improve at the same time. Oh, I'm a French B SL student btw and I did French for a while before the IB as well. Very far from fluent though.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Bonjour,

This website has a lot of good vocabulary.  Based on the French test I took, you need a good understanding of direct and indirect objects, so study that before taking the test.  You still have time, but don't procrastinate because cramming for IB tests is really difficult, especially if you're trying to study for five or more at one time.

http://www.languageguide.org/french/

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Great resources to use:

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/fi/ - from the university of texas french department, great grammar and vocabulary lessons

http://french.about.com/ - great stuff, but the site is really laggy lately

& youtube! sometimes when you are really bored you can watch french grammar videos which might appeal to you if you are more of a visual learner (like i am)

To do the best you can in french b sl, i recommend:

1. memorizing the barrons 501 french word list (you can find these lists on quizlet already). this will help you get a rough idea of all the sentences you are reading in paper 1, and expand your vocabulary for paper 2

2. memorize a list of linking words or "connecteurs logiques" - must have for paper 1 and paper 2

3. memorize the rest of the vocabulary thematically with what you will encounter on paper 1 and 2 (for instance: all the social relations vocabulary, all the global issue vocabulary, etc. there is a language b guide somewhere that says all the topics that will appear)

4. Know all your tenses so you can use them efficiently in paper 2 - you will have more than enough time to write slowly in paper 2. 

The beauty of of paper 1 is that you don't actually need to be very fluent to do well on it. As long as you can get the gist of the passages and questions, you can do well. Just memorize that vocabulary that you need for the topics covered in language b. Again you can find all of this on quizlet. Try typing in "sauver la planete" into quizlet and you will see what i mean :D

You can do the same thing for paper 2, just think of one option on which you would like to write, and memorize all the possible vocabulary for it, for instance: loisirs. You only choose one option in paper 2, but you just need to memorize 7-8 or so different formats (courrier electronique, lettre informelle/formelle, journal intime, rapport officiel, etc).

If you need any more advice, let me know!

Edited by Maple
  • Like 2

Bonjour tout le monde,

I am in my first year of IB, seventh week to be exact and I am struggling in French SL. I have done French for a few years and did really well but I am now struggling because of the massive jump in level. I was hoping that if anyone had any good tips for studying French, good vocab, sites to go on or even offer to be a french buddy ( send French emails to eachother once a week, if would be good if you were fluent in french or very good at it) they would comment bellow. Any help would be highly helpful as I am determined to gain a 6 in French.

Je vous adresse mon très amical souvenir

Zoe Faith

Bonjour!

Je peux vous aider mais je crois que mon niveau de francais parlé n'est pas bien.

^ I probably messed that sentence up ;;. 

But if you need a buddy, I'm definitely willing to help, I'm struggling with French myself and I'd love to help and improve at the same time.  Oh, I'm a French B SL student btw and I did French for a while before the IB as well. Very far from fluent though.

S'il vous plaît j'ai besoin d'aide en français b sl trop!

I'm a native french speaker so I guess I could be another one of your french study buddies ;)

Bonjour,

This website has a lot of good vocabulary.  Based on the French test I took, you need a good understanding of direct and indirect objects, so study that before taking the test.  You still have time, but don't procrastinate because cramming for IB tests is really difficult, especially if you're trying to study for five or more at one time.

I hope this helps.

Great resources to use:

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/fi/ - from the university of texas french department, great grammar and vocabulary lessons

& youtube! sometimes when you are really bored you can watch french grammar videos which might appeal to you if you are more of a visual learner (like i am)

1. memorizing the barrons 501 french word list (you can find these lists on quizlet already). this will help you get a rough idea of all the sentences you are reading in paper 1, and expand your vocabulary for paper 2

2. memorize a list of linking words or "connecteurs logiques" - must have for paper 1 and paper 2

3. memorize the rest of the vocabulary thematically with what you will encounter on paper 1 and 2 (for instance: all the social relations vocabulary, all the global issue vocabulary, etc. there is a language b guide somewhere that says all the topics that will appear)

4. Know all your tenses so you can use them efficiently in paper 2 - you will have more than enough time to write slowly in paper 2. 

The beauty of of paper 1 is that you don't actually need to be very fluent to do well on it. As long as you can get the gist of the passages and questions, you can do well. Just memorize that vocabulary that you need for the topics covered in language b. Again you can find all of this on quizlet. Try typing in "sauver la planete" into quizlet and you will see what i mean :D

You can do the same thing for paper 2, just think of one option on which you would like to write, and memorize all the possible vocabulary for it, for instance: loisirs. You only choose one option in paper 2, but you just need to memorize 7-8 or so different formats (courrier electronique, lettre informelle/formelle, journal intime, rapport officiel, etc).

Would any of you be willing to have French skype sessions :D? It'd be pretty cool. We could get to know each other, have discussions on the core/options. Let me know if you're up :)

• Like 1

Great resources to use:

Hiya! I just wanted to say thank you for all that you put above! I have actually never heard of quizlet but I just went on it and did you mentioned above and it looks as if it will be really useful! Also, do you think it is a good idea to memorize whole sentences or just vocabulary for this course? Anyhoo, thank you once again for the time you put in to help me!

Au revior!

Bonjour,

I hope this helps.

Thank you! And yes procrastination is the worst ! Anyhoo, thank you once again for your help!

Great resources to use:

Hiya! I just wanted to say thank you for all that you put above! I have actually never heard of quizlet but I just went on it and did you mentioned above and it looks as if it will be really useful! Also, do you think it is a good idea to memorize whole sentences or just vocabulary for this course? Anyhoo, thank you once again for the time you put in to help me!

Au revior!

I don't think you should be memorizing full sentences as it is really important that you know how to make sentences yourself. I think memorizing just vocabulary will suffice; however, for your interactive orals, memorizing a couple of intro sentences will help calm your nerves and ease into it