How to incorporate WOKs and AOKs in TOK presentation

tinto

I'm starting to do my TOK presentation on the extent of the SAT being an accurate predictor of success in college/university. My knowledge issues are:

1. How does one test for knowledge?

2. To what extent can one use knowledge of the past to predict the future?

Are these KIs okay? How do I incorpoate WOKs and AOKs?

For the first KI I was thinking of focusing on the AOKs mathematics and the arts, since these are areas that the SAT tests for. But I have no idea how to incorporate WOKs here.

For the second question, I was planning on focusing on the human sciences and citing perhaps a psychological study...but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Again, here I don't know how to incorporate WOKs either.

Basically I'm very lost right now, as my teacher is very new to IB TOK (this is his first year and he was only notified that he was teaching this class two weeks before school started.) We've only really started touching TOK presentations in the last couple of weeks :(.

I would really appreciate any help at all. Thank you.

Is your 2nd KI your sub KI?

I think the 2nd KI might be a bit difficult to do on. How do you know if knowledge of the past can predict the future or not? Anything in the future is not known. If you look at data in 2000 and then see what happens in 2005, and then decide that knowledge of the past (data in 2000) predicted the future (2005) pretty well, how can you know you are NOT committing confirmation bias? And correlation also does not prove causation, and there are really way too many variables that will affect the future, even for the studies researchers have done. Such studies do exist; I have read of them before, especially stuff related to twins who are separated later in life.

The idea of the first KI is similar to what I had wanted to do in the past, though I didn't do it in the end. Does SAT seriously test knowledge in the arts? Other than literature, I don't see how it does. WOK can be like say using reasoning, elaborate, we see that SAT does indeed test knowledge.

• Like 1

Is your 2nd KI your sub KI?

I think the 2nd KI might be a bit difficult to do on. How do you know if knowledge of the past can predict the future or not? Anything in the future is not known. If you look at data in 2000 and then see what happens in 2005, and then decide that knowledge of the past (data in 2000) predicted the future (2005) pretty well, how can you know you are NOT committing confirmation bias? And correlation also does not prove causation, and there are really way too many variables that will affect the future, even for the studies researchers have done. Such studies do exist; I have read of them before, especially stuff related to twins who are separated later in life.

The idea of the first KI is similar to what I had wanted to do in the past, though I didn't do it in the end. Does SAT seriously test knowledge in the arts? Other than literature, I don't see how it does. WOK can be like say using reasoning, elaborate, we see that SAT does indeed test knowledge.

Yes, my second KI is my sub KI. Hmm what if I did "to what extent can one use knowledge of past behavior to predict future behavior?" Would that be pretty much the same thing as my previous KI?

Thank you for your time.

Like twilight, I myself considered doing both of these knowledge issues (using a pretty similar RLS, though Australian-specific) in my TOK presentation. In the end, I actually did do something very similar to the 2nd KI you have down (slightly different wording) - and I managed to get a 19, though I didn't think the presentation was actually that good! I didn't have any sub-KIs - I just focussed on one KI.

For the KI, the way I structured my perspective was broadly into AOKs - so, I had perspectives from 'mathematicians', 'natural scientists' etc. Under that, linked with each AOK, was a WOK - so, for instance, I linked the maths perspective to the use of reason. Whilst this approach may not work for all KIs, I think that attaching each perspective with an AOK and WOK (or multiple AOKs/WOKs) helps ensure that you cover everything in an integrated way.

Having finished with TOK now, I personally think that the 1st KI makes for a better presentation! :)

• Like 1