B&M research question

Guys,

I'm done with my IA, just some minor editing to do and I'm not really sure about my research question. I mean it's not something that would completely change my IA, but i think it matters. because i might change a bit in the conclusion

my RQ starts with 'to what extent is it feasible for x to transform....'

I've read in many places that the B&M RQ must should start with 'should....'

my teacher says the 'to what extent' one is good, but i'm not really sure.

any assistance would be appreciated.

Hey Mishi,

As much as i know the research question have to start from should.

it is a decision that involves a chocie between two options " shoudl ______ or ______" get it?

So i think there has to be the word should actually i am not sure too :P

I also recommend surfing net.. and wait for more answers

Regards,

Vaibhav

Edited by VaibhavG
  • Like 1

Guys,

I'm done with my IA, just some minor editing to do and I'm not really sure about my research question. I mean it's not something that would completely change my IA, but i think it matters. because i might change a bit in the conclusion

Guys,

Hey Mishi!

It is always recommended to use "To what extent' rather than 'should' because the former question will encourage you to explore more about the question discussing all the possibilities, whereas in later you just sum up what is good and bad, then conclude which is best and for that reason I feel the second question is bit restrictive whereas the former encourages you to explore more which is what the examiners expect from good IA's.

Hope I helped you! :)

• Like 1

Hey Mishi!

It is always recommended to use "To what extent' rather than 'should' because the former question will encourage you to explore more about the question discussing all the possibilities, whereas in later you just sum up what is good and bad, then conclude which is best and for that reason I feel the second question is bit restrictive whereas the former encourages you to explore more which is what the examiners expect from good IA's.

hi, how are you?

well yeah, i suppose there's more room for discussion with the 'to what extent' question. but i'm not sure, every RQ of the IAs i've seen start with 'should' :/

Hey Mishi!

hi, how are you?

well yeah, i suppose there's more room for discussion with the 'to what extent' question. but i'm not sure, every RQ of the IAs i've seen start with 'should' :/

I am fine Mishi, how about you? Well it is not necessary to stick to 'To what extent' but I feel that the 'should' is supposedly is a common and less explorable topic. Well ask your teacher to show your seniors works (and also their marks) and you might get idea about what to choose. Personally I feel that you should find other alternatives instead of 'Should' or 'To what extent' as I feel that these both are commonly used by all IB students.

In the case of my teacher, he advised us to use questions that have a definite and final answer or conclusion. Thus the majority of us came up with questions starting with "should", as in the conclusion we can clearly state on the decision x should make.

I think it's best to consult with your own teacher, but I believe "to what extent" or "should" are both feasible and often used by IB students everywhere, so you shouldn't have a problem with using either of it.

• Like 2