Lateral Thinking - Reasoning

Ruan Chun Xian

Another thing that I love.

(Maybe this and the Optical Illusion thread should be in TOK. They're TOKish enough. :yes: )

Some of these are kind of lame...

1. You are driving down the road in your car on a wild, stormy night, when you pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus

* An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.

* An old friend who once saved your life.

* The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

Knowing that there can only be one passenger in your car, whom would you choose?

You can make everyone happy.

Your car can only contain one passenger, so whom should it be?

Spoiler - Click me!
The old lady of course! After helping the old lady into the car, you can give your keys to your friend, and wait with your perfect partner for the bus

[Close]

2. Acting on an anonymous phone call, the police raid a house to arrest a suspected murderer. They don't know what he looks like but they know his name is John and that he is inside the house. The police bust in on a carpenter, a lorry driver, a mechanic and a fireman all playing poker. Without hesitation or communication of any kind, they immediately arrest the fireman. How do they know they've got their man?

Spoiler - Click me!
Answer 1: The fireman is the only man in the room. The rest of the poker players are women.

Answer 2: The poker players came straight from work and had their names embroidered on their work shirts.

[Close]

3. A man lives in the penthouse of an apartment building. Every morning he takes the elevator down to the lobby and leaves the building. Upon his return, however, he can only travel halfway up in the lift and has to walk the rest of the way - unless it's raining. What is the explanation for this?

Spoiler - Click me!
The man is a dwarf. He can't reach the upper elevator buttons. He can also push them with his umbrella (when it's raining).

[Close]

4. How could a baby fall out of a twenty-story building onto the ground and live?

Spoiler - Click me!
The baby fell out of a ground floor window.

[Close]

5. A little girl was warned by her guardian never to open the cellar door or she would see things that she was not meant to see. One day while her guardian was out she did open the cellar door. She saw the garden for the first time in her life. How is this possible?

Spoiler - Click me!
When the girl opened the cellar door she saw the living room and, through its windows, the garden. She had never seen these before because her parents had kept her all her life in the cellar.

[Close]

6. A man and his son are in a car crash. The father is killed and the child is taken to hospital gravely injured. When he gets there, the surgeon says, 'I can't operate on this boy - for he is my son!!!' How can this possibly be?

Spoiler - Click me!
The surgeon can not operate on her own son; she is his mother.

[Close]

A man and his wife raced through the streets. They stopped, and the husband got out of the car. When he came back, his wife was dead, and there was a stranger in the car. What happened?

Spoiler - Click me!
The wife was about to have a baby. They drove to the hospital. The husband left to get a wheelchair, but the baby was born in the meantime, and the wife didn't survive the birth.

[Close]

A body is discovered in a park in Chicago in the middle of summer. It has a fractured skull and many other broken bones, but the cause of death was hypothermia.

Spoiler - Click me!
A poor peasant from somewhere in Europe desperately wants to come to the United States. Lacking money for airfare, he stows away in the landing gear compartment of a jet. He dies of hypothermia in mid-flight and falls out when the compartment opens as the plane makes its final approach.

[Close]

A woman has incontrovertible proof in court that her husband was murdered by her sister. The judge declares, "This is the strangest case I've ever seen. Though it's a cut-and-dried case, this woman cannot be punished." Why not?

Spoiler - Click me!
The sisters are Siamese twins.

[Close]

A hunter aimed his gun carefully and fired. Seconds later, he realized his mistake. Minutes later, he was dead.

Spoiler - Click me!
It was winter. He fired the gun near a snowy cliff, which started an avalanche.

[Close]

A man is returning from Switzerland by train. If he had been in a non-smoking car he would have died.

Spoiler - Click me!
The man used to be blind -- he's returning from an eye operation which restored his sight. He spent all his money on the operation, so when the train (which had no internal lighting) goes through a tunnel, he thinks he's gone blind again and decides to kill himself. But before he could do it, he saw the light of the cigarettes people were smoking and realized he could still see.

[Close]

A man is found hanging in an otherwise empty locked room with a puddle of water under his feet.

Spoiler - Click me!
He stood on a block of ice to hang himself.

[Close]

A man is driving his car. He turns on the radio, listens for five minutes, turns around, goes home, and shoots his wife.

Spoiler - Click me!
The radio program is one of those shows where they call up someone at random and ask them a question. The announcer states the name and town of the man's wife as the person he would call next. He does so, and a male voice answers. From this, he gathered his wife was having an affair.

[Close]

A woman buys a new pair of shoes, goes to work, and dies.

Spoiler - Click me!
The woman is the assistant to a circus knife-thrower, who stands in front of a target as knives are thrown around her. The new shoes have higher heels than she normally wears, causing the thrower to misjudge his aim.

[Close]

Joe, wearing a mask and carrying an empty sack, leaves his house. An hour later he returns with a full sack. He goes into a room and turns out the lights. What's happening?

Spoiler - Click me!
Joe is a kid who goes trick-or-treating for Halloween, returns, and goes to sleep.

[Close]

A man was walking down the stairs of a hospital. Suddenly he realises that his wife is dead.

Spoiler - Click me!
His wife is on a life support system at the hospital that runs on electricity. When he was walking down the stairs, the electricity went out, thus the system went out as well.

[Close]

A woman throws something out a window and dies.

Spoiler - Click me!
The object she throws is a boomerang. It flies out, loops around, comes back, and hits her in the head.

[Close]

There are a carrot, a pile of pebbles, and a pipe lying together in the middle of a field. What happened?

Spoiler - Click me!
The snowman melted.

[Close]

Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice all live in the same house. Bob and Carol go out to a movie, and when they return, Alice is lying dead on the floor in a puddle of water and glass. It is obvious that Ted killed her but Ted is not prosecuted or severely punished.

Spoiler - Click me!
Alice is a goldfish; Ted is a cat.

[Close]

---

I also remember talked about this complicated one about twins being born across timezones in TOK but can't remember the particulars. :)

2. Acting on an anonymous phone call, the police raid a house to arrest a suspected murderer. They don't know what he looks like but they know his name is John and that he is inside the house. The police bust in on a carpenter, a lorry driver, a mechanic and a fireman all playing poker. Without hesitation or communication of any kind, they immediately arrest the fireman. How do they know they've got their man?

Well I would have said because the fireman was still wearing his firefighters uniform :huh:

But i do really like these, i think they can benefit people going for uni interviews as interviewers often ask questions relating to lateral thinking.

One I have been asked before involves a man bleeding heavily on a street or 5 terminally ill people in a hospital ward. Who do you save, the 5 or the 1?

I would say the 5 but then what happens to your view when you add that the man bleeding would in the future actually be a leading scientist on par with Einstein....? :lol:

1. Alone

2. well 0/Phd MD= undefined (they way I'm thinking of it is that it requires me the same amount of years to get a PhD as it will require my friend to get his... but you can say they're both doctors.. but that you make it PhD(squared) so it's undefined)

3. do not let ana post :)

4. III/oo = 3?

5. reflection

6. england? lol (two story bussed hehe)

7. generalizations? easier one could be generation :)

8. it's an eye? lol

9. alone together?

10. none

11. something my mother would say every morning before I go to school :)

12. overboard

13. it's no where right now (dunno why tht just pops in my head when I saw that lol)

14. desperate attempt for eggs :) (written by a dyslexic? )

15. story/ kitty

6. england? lol (two story bussed hehe)

12. overboard

6. right, though the 2nd part is right... not really England :)

12. Nearly right. Otherwise all wrong.

Anyone else?

Answer below if you can't get it and want to know :)

1. all by myself 2. two degrees below zero 3. banana split 4. circle under the eyes 5. full length mirror 6. double decker bus 7. generation gap 8. good intentions 9. just between you and me 10. a hole in one 11. long underwear 12. man overboard 13. nowhere in sight 14. scrambled eggs 15. tall tale

• 4 months later...

I love these picture things. And the different situations questions that you've started off with. Do you mind posting the answers again though?

6. right, though the 2nd part is right... not really England :P

12. Nearly right. Otherwise all wrong.

Anyone else?

Answer below if you can't get it and want to know :P

Spoiler - Click me!
1. all by myself 2. two degrees below zero 3. banana split 4. circle under the eyes 5. full length mirror 6. double decker bus 7. generation gap 8. good intentions 9. just between you and me 10. a hole in one 11. long underwear 12. man overboard 13. nowhere in sight 14. scrambled eggs 15. tall tale

[Close]