Help needed with Acids & Bases IA

bzzbzzbzz

Hi there! I need some urgent help with my IA. Which I was never good at and am pretty lost right now.

So basically, I was doing my IA and I was a bit confused with finding the equivalence point based on the data I have collected ( Note that this is a DCP and CE IA, the design is set by the teacher) I found the half equivalence point, since pH= pKa, i thought I was on the right track..

.. but there is one problem. My pKa does not register with any acid in the data booklet

The correct answer would have been ethanoic acid (with a pKa of 4.76)

I tried doing back backsolve with 4.76 but that was simply impossible. Because of that I do not know how to continue with my experiment. Since I am unable to identify the acid, this renders my DCP invalid and I cannot write my CE.

*** Long story but I'm unable to get any help from teachers so I hope y'all can help me out a bit here!

Chem_AcidsBases.docx

Go with what your results give you. You can still get points for following the correct methods for preparing the data. As for the conclusion and evaluation, you can still earn most, if not all, of the marks by properly pointing out your errors (Did you over-titrate? If you used a pH probe, was it calibrated properly? Did you thoroughly wash all of your equipment before the experiment and between each trial? etc). Find out exactly what went wrong and explain how it impacts your results. Then suggest an improvement for each weakness/error you identified if you were to do the experiment over again.