Scholarships for International Students in US

baltacimustafa

Hey guys,

I'm a 10th grade IB student from Turkey and i have some concerns about my future.

First of all i need to say that my family can not afford that colleges' tuitions so i need to find scholarships and the question is here:

HOW?

I know nothing about that please help me.

for now, just make sure you do well. not only in terms of grades, but take part in many activities, play sports, etc.

you can get financial aid in some universities, but again, have a good gpa and do well in the SAT. don't stress too much about it now.

I was in the same position as you back in 10th grade. every once in a while you could go through various college websites, but just don't let the whole college search thing take up your study time. unfortunately this happened to me last year and i kinda messed up :/

so yeah, just work hard. i'm sure things will work out.

good luck.

• Like 1

Very few schools will offer full financial aid and practice need blind admissions to internationals. The ones I know are HYP, Dartmouth, and MIT. Some other schools may offer large scholarships to internationals, but only the ones that I have listed above will guarantee any FA.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, being an international student / applicant will make it really hard for you to get massive financial aid. There are some need blind universities in America but they are extremely hard to even get into:

Amherst

Dartmouth

Harvard

MIT

Princeton

Yale

(And I believe, NYU AD although not in the US)

Anyways, I would just try hard to get the best grades and other things in your next years just so it will be easier for you to plan your future.

You can definitely get scholarships if you are a strong candidate. I am not a U.S. citizen and I got financial aid from every college I applied to in the U.S. ranging from $25,000/year to $45,000/year. And most schools were pretty good (I chose Wellesley but I had offers from Pomona, Wesleyan and other liberal arts colleges). Big schools usually have more resources but yes, things are pretty tough as an international.

The process is that they basically "accept" all candidates they want, regardless of financial need, then they rank them and give offers to as many as they can until they run out of money. So, for example, Wesleyan's overall acceptance is about 20% but they only accepted 3% of international students who required financial aid (they sent me the stats with my acceptance letter). It's a very tough procedure, but if they really like you, they will make sure you can afford it.

• Like 1