IB> alevels? then why do some unis dont understand?

fufufuufufufufuuu

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-394399/A-level-blow-Baccalaureate-given-rating-5-A-grades.html

im a very dedicated IB studnt, i work hard every single day and yet i feel intimidated by my grades.. and alevel kids have it easy...

i know a college who have alevels and they have better prospects of getting into top unis.. they can still chill out and have a good time and better chances ogf getting into a top uni~

this is unfair......what do you guys think? why dont top unis understand?

Edited by Sandwich

Unis are starting to accept that in general, IB students are better applicants and more prepared for university. Some top unis have lowered their IB offers so they're more reasonable.

I know a few extreme cases - someone who got 45/45 was rejected from Cambridge, but I could name like 5 other people who got 4 A*s and rejected from Imperial and other top unis. Times are changing.

It's not as bad as the article makes it, the grade conversion is pretty subjective and depends on a lot of factors. While I agree that IB students may be slightly disadvantaged overall compared to A-level students, I don't think it'll make that much of a difference (exceptions apply of course, notably courses requiring HL maths). I'm sure most top universities do have some statistical grounding of their requirements too, Cambridge for example have published their results on their site which shows what they base their requirements on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...