Predicted Marks/University Confusion

Emma Scott

So Im a little bit confused. Can someone please help me out here?

So let's say that I want to apply for Cambridge University in UK.

And my marks this year are all 5 (only two however, are IB subjects).

And next year I get 7s for all my subjects. By November, lets say my predicted marks are all 7s. Does that mean that the marks sent to Cambridge University would be 7? Or do I get sent a 6 (an average from both grades?) Are the predicted marks based on the two years or just grade 12? E.g. chemistry in grade 11 is not an IB subject, but in grade 12 it is... Does Cambridge look at all my grade 11 subjects too? Or my french and geography?

What if I did horrible in grade 11 but I brought all my marks to a 7 by grade 12?

ANDDD

the deadline to give in my marks are October 1st 2014.........

Im sooo confused.

Edited by Emma Scott

Your teachers decide on your predicted grades. So it's up to them whether they'd say you were capable of achieving a 7 or a 5 in the final IB exams. Obviously if you've not been capable of getting 7s in the past, they may be reluctant to predict you 7s from there on out, but it really depends on them. It's irrelevant if your current subjects are for some reason not IB subjects, it's just about how the teacher assesses your abilities in terms of likely achievement in the final exams i.e. May 2015.

If the deadline to give in your marks is 1st October then achieving 7s by November is clearly a fundamentally flawed 'masterplan', no? :blink: Completing things after the deadline is generally not a winning strategy.

In terms of what other academic information gets sent, you should also hand in your GCSEs, but your whole post has me very confused as to whether you've done these because you're writing as if you're in an american system (I can't help but feel that only in a US system would you randomly do some subjects as non-IB...) but your flag says you're located in the UK which doesn't really fit with what you say in terms of education so... if you've done any official external exams e.g. GCSE or equivalent, then you should submit those grades as well. And if you've not, I'm not sure what the protocol is in terms of whether you have to hand in any of your past academic history. I assume some kind of evidence would have to be offered.

• Like 1

OHHHH I NEVER NOTICED MY FLAG

Im actually from Canada!!

ALL my marks this year (for the non IB subjects) are 5s. I've been predicted a 7 for the two IB subjects Im taking this year. Have I ruined my chances to get into Cambridge?

I know I can get 7s for all my subjects next year....This year I went through so many things including losing some of my close family members that I wasnt able to concentrate well.

I FEEL SO DEPRESSED NOW.

Edited by Emma Scott

Well as I am not one of your teachers telling you what your predicted grades are, I can't possibly tell you. You'll have to talk to them about where they currently think you're at, explain any extenuating circumstances you might have, and see what you can do to raise your predicted grades up. You won't know without making an effort to ask the right people.

Well it's not like somebody else has been living in your body for a year, you achieved the grades you have achieved this year, so they are a reflection of your abilities/motivation/effort/all of these things. Universities ask for them BECAUSE they are a reflection of you as a student. If you want to aim high you've got to work hard throughout! And seeing as you haven't for one reason or another, then like I've said multiple times it is your teachers who predict your grades. Note the verb 'predict' is not defined as 'use your previous year's grades'. Although obviously it would be stupid to ignore your current grades because they are quite strongly predictive, so doubtless they will form a large part of decision making.

If you can persuade your teachers that you are an excellent student of previously untapped potential who will magically transform all their grades into 7s in time for finals then there's no reason why the teachers couldn't predict you all 7s. Assuming they agree with you. This is the definition of the word predict, and it is the teachers who will do the predicting. There are no other ways to say it! Put two and two together and you will see that to find out the answers you'll have to talk to your teachers.

If you are predicted low, fail to get in because your grades are not sufficiently high, and then get all 7s, then you could try re-applying with your final grades the subsequent year.