HL Music Stylistic Compositions

SeverusSnape

For the stylistic compositions in HL music, how exactly am I supposed to do them? I working on the 18th century string quartet one right now. I took the 1st 20 measures (1st violin only) of a minuet from a Haydn quartet. It says I need to include a modulation. Do I compose the other 3 parts in the style of the piece, or with my own style? Also, would it be good or bad to listen to a recording of the piece? I don't want to hear the other parts and write them like how Haydn did?

Any suggestions for the stylistic compositions in general would be much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

for the stylistic compositions, you MUST compose in the style of your composer and period.

Eg: If i was doing a Bach Chorale, i must must must compose in the style of Bach eg: all the stringent rules of harmony such as no parallels, consecutives etc etc.

My advice is, dont do a stylistic composition. Alot of ppl, including myself, was drawn to the fact that it's not actually a 'composition' as you are given a melody to work on. NO NO NO! FFS NO!

Ill explain my scenario.

I was told to do a Bach chorale. Easy. No parallel this and that and no consecutives right + ripe of one of Bach's chord progression and tada ~ we have stylistic comp right?

No. Not even close.

Many students don't realise that they are asking for 4 part counter-point harmony in addition to the stylic element Bach. To the difficulty into perspective, people do masters and phD's on 4 part harmony and are still not able to teach it. It is an incredibly difficult task.

How do i know this?... Who am i to trust?

I topped music at my school [my school is known for being musically oriented school] for 5 consective years. I finished ABRSM grade 8 theory and also LRSM on piano.

I did a Bach chorale. School loved it.

I was VERY LUCKY as I decided to show it to a professor at the con. just in case...

He laughed. He said it was a joke. I was offended, but he was right.

It dawned on me that the composing of HL let alone SL music, is outrageously hard.

My advice is, dont do music at all. I saying this as a person who loves music, topped music, know all everything from music history etc etc etc. I quit music. It was the smartest decision ive ever made.

Please, don't do it. It's a killer.

However, if you do wish to continue...here is my advice:

1. Stop composition.

Read the following as a BARE MINIMUM:

Harmony in Practice by Anna Butterworth [ABRSM Pubishing]

Performers guide to Romantic/Clasical/Baroque music [ABRSM Publishing] -> choose ur period

MAKE SURE u have a commanding knowledge of your period. NOTES ARE USELESS

Ur composing, note vomiting notes. U need a commanding knowledge.

Take your compositions to your local university/con. professor and get it PROFESSIONALLY MARKED

Im telling now, SCHOOL MUSIC TEACHERS ARE NOT TAUGHT THIS IN UNI!!

most importantly, listen to your period's music and have a 'sense' for that period.

U dont need to verbalise it, just understand it intuitively and trust your intuition when deciding if something is bad or not.

Goodluck.