paurvs

My exams begin from May! and i'm freaking our. I have to study and review all the syllabus, especially Economics HL and Biology HL. Please tell me the best way to study, the school has given us a 1 month study leave, so i have all day. Any ideas please??

You're lucky, my study leave only starts next week. I do SL biology but started out with HL and I'd say the best way to do it is to make a ton of mindmaps or flash cards, it helps me and is a good way to condense info. In general though I've found exam practice to be the best method as questions that come up tend to me similar.

Hope this helps, I'm freaking out too! :S

• Like 1

Study leave? Do you guys get time off just to study for IB exams?

It really depends on how your state/national system runs, but most schools will give time off before IB exams for frantic study. For example, we got 6 weeks off before our IB exams to study. Fantastic for last minute cramming/study/revision, but it is actually just psychologically depressing to be doing so much IB-related stuff without a break at all. Though I would much rather have a long study break than a short one, or none at all!

This really amazes me. You have a month off of school to study for the exams? That'd be incredible! I'd do so well if I had that kind of time to study...

Anyway, best of luck with your studying. Check out the file section of the forum for some nice notes on pretty much every subject.

• Like 1

Study leave, I wish. I don't think that's even legal for public schools because they won't get funding.

Yep, sad but true. Can you imagine it though? It never crossed my mind, but I bet I'd do a lot better if I had that time. Maybe I should save up sick days and take a week off before May next year :P

Study leave, I wish. I don't think that's even legal for public schools because they won't get funding.

Yep, sad but true. Can you imagine it though? It never crossed my mind, but I bet I'd do a lot better if I had that time. Maybe I should save up sick days and take a week off before May next year :P

I very much hesitate to condone skipping school, but sometimes it is just so much better to do it. At the point where you're getting ready to do your final IB exams, you want to be by yourself doing revision at your own pace, rather than sitting in a classroom. I know that even for our mock exams and non-school exams we had kids take 'sick days' off for studying. :)

• Like 1

I very much hesitate to condone skipping school, but sometimes it is just so much better to do it. At the point where you're getting ready to do your final IB exams, you want to be by yourself doing revision at your own pace, rather than sitting in a classroom. I know that even for our mock exams and non-school exams we had kids take 'sick days' off for studying. :)

Yeah, I'm not usually the kind of person who would do this. I've had near perfect attendance for years. But I think this is a special circumstance - and if people in the rest of the world take a month off, I don't think I should feel too much guilt for taking a few days to prepare :)

Our seniors had 2 weeks study leave after the easter break and as I understand it, that was the tradition. Until they made my batch go back to school after easter for self studying (and lessons if the teacher teaches), possibly cause they didn't trust us to study at home :hunter::teehee: .

I have exams this november and I know that I'm getting a whopping 6 school days off to study + the weekend in between... that's about it. Besides the fact that SL coursework kinda finishes a couple of months before exams.

How are/did you guys revise...did you make a kind of revision plan and what was it like?

Everyone at my school had two weeks off plus the easter break, and then it depended on the individual teachers whether we were allowed to skip classes or not - Some kids were lucky others weren't. We all had to attend mock exams, but other than that everyone got to skip a few extra weeks, but some teachers like our Psychology teacher forced us to attend as many classes as possible. I think everyone should get 1-2 months off before exams, I mean if you have covered the entire syllabus, why should you attend school for anything other than mocks? Anything else is just a distraction from studying. If we aren't independent and responsible enough to be able to use the time wisely and revise properly, then we wouldn't have scored well anyway. Plus, the classes at school were ''optional'' so the teachers were there anyway (they just worked if no one showed up, as my school wasn't an all IB school so they had other normal classes every semester). So if you needed help, you could always attend all the classes if you wanted to.

Edited by Babydolleyes
  • Like 1

Wait so do some of you not have an Easter holiday to revise in? At my school we get a week or so after Easter but you're pretty much expected to revise throughout the holidays...

we get the regular 2 weeks off for Easter like the rest of the school, but other than that we have to stay in school until the 1st of May which is ridiculous, considering some people in my year start their exams on the 2nd. :/

We haven't been going to classes in ages. We don't have official study leave days or weeks, but I don't remember having to attend a lesson in the past month and a half at least.

Been revising a lot at home, going to school only if I have specific questions regarding Math or any other subjects, but that's about it.

Guest Viska

Wow, I wish that a had a long study leave. I only have 2 weeks without school so I can revise. But you can barely even do past papers when you don't know the content yet.

Y'all are so lucky! We have Easter break which is this week and that's it. We have two weeks when we come back before exams but we're expected to attend all our classes (even the ones after the IB exams.) I go to public school and basically we'll do our exams and still have like a month of English after the English exam finishes. Thankfully, after the Spanish exam we won't have to go back to Spanish, they just expect us to attend all our classes till the end of the year which sucks. I'd much rather be revising at home than listening to lectures or reviewing. The only class I'm doing anything in right now besides past exams and reviewing is English and that's because we're finishing up our last book. She timed it so that we'd finish the last two books (AKA the ones we need to know for the exams) right before the test so they'd be fresh in our minds.

Y'all are so lucky! We have Easter break which is this week and that's it. We have two weeks when we come back before exams but we're expected to attend all our classes (even the ones after the IB exams.) I go to public school and basically we'll do our exams and still have like a month of English after the English exam finishes. Thankfully, after the Spanish exam we won't have to go back to Spanish, they just expect us to attend all our classes till the end of the year which sucks. I'd much rather be revising at home than listening to lectures or reviewing. The only class I'm doing anything in right now besides past exams and reviewing is English and that's because we're finishing up our last book. She timed it so that we'd finish the last two books (AKA the ones we need to know for the exams) right before the test so they'd be fresh in our minds.

why are you going back to classes when the exams are over?